Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what can cause thread to break?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaorth
    miriam, nope, it only will fit one way, flat on one side.

I think it is what people suggested, dull needle, being I have not changed it and have sewn denim.

I am just not sure what needle to replace it with.
    (I checked the website mentioned above and do not see anything to help with coats and clark all purpose thread)
    Some times when you sew on denim the needle can bend just a little - pull the needle out and lay it next to a brand new needle. Use a jeans needle to sew denim and expect that they can bend or break.

just read your post, my needles is in properly, this machine never broke thread before and the needle has not been changed. I am thinking the suggestions that the needle is dull are correct, so am changing the needle.

just took the old one out... had to get step son to read it, he said it says 90 14 on it (and I did not tell him it was numbers or anything so I know he could actually see it) oh to have the vision of his LOL

this is not a color coded one... he said it had a word, he spelled it out, it is a Schmetz but not color coded, instead has the number 90 14 he said.

Power Poster
    If you've changed the needle and it's still happening, change the thread. Sometimes thread can have rough spots that break when they can't fit through the eye of the needle. I had an expensive thread form a little lint ball at the needle that broke the thread and the needle. Also make sure that the little slit on the spool is not catching the thread as it feeds. If you have a single hole plate on the machine, it can sometimes help to switch to the wide hole plate instead. Good luck.

oh I just held the needle up so the pc screen was behind it, so I could see the tip... almost looks like it has a hook on the end. wow... and when I touch it... I can rest my finger on the tip and it doesn't poke me...

I so hate having to replace things... I am cheap... heh.. but got to do what I got to do... now to get the right needle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    With the C&C thread I use the 14 90...
    looks like after all my deductions this is the needle to use hehe

thank you for your info

off to try a new needle sorry for the totem posting

I think it was the needle, just changed it and did a test stitch. It even sounded smoother, no more snick sounds, and the stitches even look better, no puckering of the fabric either. WOW I must say, I did not realize that a dull needle would make such a difference.

Thank you everyone, and I hope that this thread is able to help others as well!

Yes definitely need a new needle, that is why you are getting the popping sound, for the breakage, the needle migh not be the right size for the thread you are using.

Blog Entries
    Maybe the needle is not pushed all the way up?

well it was the needle was dull

I switched it out, finished pairing up the pairs of strips, and no thread breakage (was about 25 or 30 sets of pairs.)
    before it was breaking every couple of sets of pairs.

whew, glad it was nothing too serious.
    Also noticed how much smoother it sews, and less puckering, and no more snicking sound, as well as it seems to sew straighter (or I am just getting used to keeping the fabric straight hehe)

ty all for your help and suggestions

You need the right needle for the type of fabric/thread you are using.

Banned
    Use 11/70 or 12/80 or check your manual for type thread using.

Also check to see if there is something on the thread spool that is catching the thread Sometimes the little cut on the spool will catch the thread. If so, reverse the thread spool on the thread holder.

As soon as you hear the popping sound - change your needle as it is an indication that it is already overdue.

Blog Entries
    if you had needle popping be sure to look for burs on anything that bent needle was hitting - then polish off any burrs

Blog Entries
    Any time that my machine is not acting right in any way, be it the tension, thread breaking, funny sounds, etc. I do FOUR things...... I redo the bobbin (taking it out and putting it back in), I rethread the top, clean the bobbin case and top area with a brush; and I change the needle. SO often it's one or a combination of these things. Good luck.

Check your tentions rollers, there might be a piece of thread in them.

hi make sure you rethread the machine. my little janome will do that if i have it threaded wrong.

Good advice from board members.

Ditto on the needle. I often forget to change the needle and hear that same sound.

I am a firm believer in changing the needle after every project. If you had just sewn a demin quilt you should have had a denim needle in and if you then change to cotton you need a different needle. Until I tooka class in needles I never would have believed what a difference they nake. Gppd luck

Sounds to me like there has to be a small burr on the needle.

Blog Entries
    I replace my needle for every project. My philosophy is that the needle cost about .50 cents (buy on sale at Joann's, Schmetz are great) and you will save yourself so much grief, this is the smallest investment in your project and you can save yourself soooo much grief. Don't skimp on this.

Blog Entries
    Needle problem?? Use Microtec needles, they are really sharp. Could also be a tension problem. :-)

thank you all, it was definitely the needle, I did some sewing last night after changing it and it sewed like a dream.

It sucks being new to this stuff, but got to learn somehow, sometimes what just seems to be common sense to someone already familiar with the situation, is not common sense for someone new to it.

So please forgive me if I tend to ask stupid "I should have known" type questions. I know that if I am stuck, that someone here will be able to help, and for that, I am extremely thankful. You, all of you, is what makes this board/forum a place that people want to come to, and new sewers feel comfortable asking questions.
    So.. thank you all for being you.

I had this problem yesterday and realized I was using some old thread. After it broke for the 3rd time, I tossed the spool. So, if you've changed to a new needle, cleaned the bobbin area, checked your bobbin thread, re-threaded your machine and still the thread breaks, toss it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast