Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me? >

What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me?

What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me?

Old 03-04-2017, 06:13 PM

I wouldn't put this in a quilt! The shawl is the thing for tis lovely piece!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:39 AM

Wow, this brought back memories. Back in the 50's, money was short for many people. Christmases weren't like today. My grandparents had about 17 grands and they farmed. So a gift from them was for all. In 1957, grandma bought a bolt of this, 100% wool. She made a scarf for each, along with each child of theirs and the spouse. Being in northern IN, it was a useful item for winters. I was a freshman in high school that year. I still have my scarf. When we get a cool spell here in FL, I use it as an accessory piece. To have something my grandmother made me yet, well I can't ever tell you the comfort it brings. It stays in my cedar chest when not in use.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
Thank all of you for your posts. I think NOTMORECRAFT may be right. I really don't know a lot about different kinds of fabric but I'm nearly positive it is not wool. I kind of like the idea of pillows for the sofa with appliqué. It measures about 60" x 60" so I suppose I could get a shawl and a couple small pillows made from it.
I would make a shawl or cape out of it. Check out Peggy Sagers, Silhouette Patterns and she has several tutorials in the past few months for making cover ups. A few only have one or two seams and since you are using large pieces of fabric if you get tired of the throw you can take out the seams and do something else out of it
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM

The fabric is beautiful! So nice of your friend to give it to you from her trip!

I would make a shawl or wrap. It would look stunning with a black dress - could be dressed up or more casual depending on accessories and jewelery - would look great with jeans or a straight skirt, cream top and boots.

Please let us know what you decide
Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Our daughter went to college at Stirling, Scotland and she loves tartan plaids. She has a shawl very similar in color and pattern. It would be easy to make and beautiful to wear.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM

scotty dogs or a plaid skirt or scotty dog quilt with a plaid border