Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what causes the borders to "wave"? >

what causes the borders to "wave"?

what causes the borders to "wave"?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:28 PM

Default what causes the borders to "wave"?

I just finished my first braid quilt and I love it, but I had a little problem. When I put the borders on they would not lay flat and even. There was like wave or buckle not sure what to call it. When I did the binding I actually ended up with little puckers that I had to just accept and sew them. They weren't too bad, but it was very frustrating.

Does anyone know what causes this? I have never encountered this before. Is it an issues that just happens with the braid quilts?

I did use a jelly roll strip for the border for first time as well.. is it a jelly roll thing?

Please let me know what your thoughts are.. because I want to make another one

Thank you
Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

How did you attach the borders? Did you just sew the jelly roll strip onto the edge, or did you first measure through the middle of the quilt and cut the border strip to size before sewing?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:44 PM

How do you do your borders? Do you cut them to a measurement and ease the quilt to them or do you sew a uncut strip on and cut afterward? One of theses will lead to wavy borders.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:47 PM

You should measure the middle of the quilt, like Prism said, and use that length for the border. Do NOT just sew to the edge from a longer length, you will get waves.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

All the edges of your braids would have been bias, bias stretches. (I am assuming the braid pieces were rectangles that you trimmed straight before sashing?) if that is the case, sew the sashing on by drawing a straight line and then trim off the extra.
Besides the bias stretching, I always stay stitch the edges of my top if it has a lot of seams because every seam stretches a little. I mark my borders or sashing where the end should be, pin down the edge distributing fullness and ease the top to fit with my stiletto.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:09 PM

thank you for all of your replies! I am sure that I did just sew the uncut strip on...

Ok, so when you say "measure to the middle" I think I know what you mean.. so its like my jelly roll was too long?

Tartan: yes I had my braids in rectangles that I squared off. Then I sewed a ~3/4" sashing between each and then a small frame border. That all was fine.. it was the jelly roll border that waved I am not sure what you mean by "stay stitch the edges"
Old 06-28-2015, 02:16 PM

Stay stitch the edges by sewing 1/4" from the edge. Just a line of stitching but it really does help. If your edge has stretched a bit, use a larger stitch for the staystitching--almost a gathering type stitch. Measure thru the middle of the quilt and then divide that measurement into quarters. Divide the side of your top into quarters too, and pin them together. If there is quite a bit of difference, you can use that staystitching to gently gather and ease the edge of your quilt--kind of like sewing a set-in sleeve. I have also done this when my border has stretched and I needed to ease it into the binding.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:42 PM

I've done a few braids and I found it is much easier if you draw a line, stay-stitch, sew the border or sashing on, THEN cut the extra off after. Starch helps also.

My favorite way to do borders is Bonnie Hunter's way. No measuring tape involved and I have never had a wavy border since I started doing them this way.

http://www.quiltville.com/borderhints.shtml
Old 06-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Stay stitch means to sew a line of thread all around the edge of the quilt. Keeps everything in place so your edges don't stretch. If you ever send a quilt to a longarmer she may ask you to do this.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Thank you... never thought of cutting the braid after I had the sashing sewn on... I did starch, but maybe I need to starch more. I am going to try the stay stitch too