Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did I get myself into?? >

What did I get myself into??

What did I get myself into??

Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Default What did I get myself into??

OK, so for Christmas, I made mug rugs for each of my son's preschool teachers. Fast forward to now, and I work there as an assistant teacher/art instructor.

Apparently my boss loved them SO much, that she wants me to make them for EVERY child to give one to their moms for Mother's Day... That's about 62 kids!!

So, as I prepare to grab about a case of wine and move into my sewing room for the next month or so... Does anyone have any suggestions on making multiples? Favorite 'simple' pattern ideas?

Our thought was to buy a variety of material, and let the kids pick a few fabrics to make them out of. They won't look good together, most likely, but the fact that the kids 'participated' by picking the fabric makes them special, right?

The other thought we had was to put a small pocket on the front of each mugrug, and include a teabag along with the poem explaining what a mug rug is.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Basically, as long as it's not complicated piecing or applique, I'm open to suggestions!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 PM

I guess I am confused .. aren't the kids supposed to be making their own gifts .. or has that gone by the way side.. or did I not read your post correctly. If I am reading they pick the fabrics and you do the work?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

You could make them with a plain muslin back and have the students sign or colour them with markers.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 PM

this is a great idea!

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You could make them with a plain muslin back and have the students sign or colour them with markers.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 PM

psss!
Dollar store, lol
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

ITA with the others that your boss is taking your generosity a little far!
And yes ITA, aren't the kids supposed to MAKE the presents?
I hope that the "offer" included paying for ALL your supplies!

Tartan's is a good idea ... just sew plain muslin Mug Rugs, and let the kids do the decorating. And perhaps instead of you doing ALL the work, you could enlist the help of ALL the staff, in a good ol' fashioned Quilting Bee assembly line!

Though with pre-school, can you have them work in something that would be washable? Perhaps using crayons? ... and then you AND ALL staff work together to finish them off.

hhmmmm ... I bet if you force the group effort, the idea will fizzle out ... or at least will not be requested another time, once they have done it this time. And who knows, perhaps the group will have FUN doing it together, then it will be a most worthwhile group effort from the staff to the parents ... with the kids help!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM

Are you really going to do this? Sounds like your boss has never made anything in her life.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM

That is a lot to ask from you. I would gently decline. People don't know how much time everything takes including mug rugs. Now, if the kids want to make something, I would keep it as easy peasy as possible.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM

The original idea was to have them color a picture for their moms, scan, and print on the iron-on paper and use it for the backing. But we decided against it, as sometimes the kids just scribble (the ones we KNOW can draw will not feel like it).

She would be paying for all supplies, and I would still be paid for my time as well, so I'm OK with doing it.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM

I agree use muslin only, cut them out with pinking shears, sew a 1/4 inch in (other staff needs to be helping with this) have kids decorate the front and "sign" the back. The gift should be made at least this much by them or it is not a gift from them. You are a trooper!