Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did you learn today in Quilting? >

What did you learn today in Quilting?

What did you learn today in Quilting?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
i learned that if i spend to long on here I dont get much quilting done!! :lol: :lol:
Very, very, very true! It is so much fun to see what everyone's answers are to questions though. What is a quilter to do???? :roll:
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 AM

What I learned about quilting today is that I don't know nearly enough acronyms OBW, GFG, etc to understand this thread! :-)
Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 AM

http://quiltpox.com/Tools/abbreviations.html
I don't think this tells you OBW or GFG. One Block Wonder, Grandmothers Flower Garden.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM

My sewing machine is really pretty nice. It is only one year old and has many, many feet and other attachments. I got it to make a Halloween costume for my grandson last year then put it away. I just have to get it out and play with it and hopefully we will become good friends!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Joeysnana,yes, you need to get that machine out and play! Make some potholders or a simple tote bag to get back in the swing of things and keep your machine in shape! Go to a LQS for some inspiration to get you started.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I have made the same block 5 times now and 5 times, it came out different than the pattern. 4 times, I left it (because it was pretty even if wrong) but the 5th time, I took it apart to find out where I got turned around. Apparently, I was having a dyslexic HST day. So I learned to lay the pieces out according to the pattern and sew them slowly one step at a time.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Windy Canyon
This past weekend I went to a quilt show with maybe about 200+ quilts. I don't think I saw an ugly quilt. What I learned is that even beautiful quilts have stitch-in-the-ditch stitches that don't all stay 'in' the ditch, and other stitches that aren't perfect still make for a beautiful quilt. So... that means I can quilt; have fun; strive to always improve and still finish and enjoy my not-so-perfect quilts!!! LOL, but that is a big discovery for me.
That is a HUGE discovery for all of us to make. Congratulations for making the discovery. It'll make your quilting life more pleasurable for sure.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 PM

I relearned that puttering at quilting takes my mind off problems, ailments and stress.

I'm learning to applique after all the encouragement I get here.

I've learned to be less messy at paper piecing.

I have NOT learned how to organize my patterns, photos, ideas! (I know it's here somewhere. . .)
Old 03-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
My sewing machine is really pretty nice. It is only one year old and has many, many feet and other attachments. I got it to make a Halloween costume for my grandson last year then put it away. I just have to get it out and play with it and hopefully we will become good friends!
I agree with others who said you need to get the sewing machine out and play. Pot holders is a great idea. You just need to sew. Make up a quilt sandwich of any size and shape you want to play with - 15 or 20 or so inches is good. Baste it about every 2 or so inches and then just explore those feet and what they can do for you. Have some scraps handy. Sew them onto that square. You are exploring so fill that block up with stitches of all kinds. Better yet, make up a real block, sandwich and try different quilt techniques on it. Put that machine through it's paces and you'll make messes but you'll learn every step of the way and become more comfortable with it.

When you get stuck, post to the board and ask your question but also tell us what brand and model machine you are using and what you are trying to do and what foot you are using etc. Just go for it.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have made the same block 5 times now and 5 times, it came out different than the pattern. 4 times, I left it (because it was pretty even if wrong) but the 5th time, I took it apart to find out where I got turned around. Apparently, I was having a dyslexic HST day. So I learned to lay the pieces out according to the pattern and sew them slowly one step at a time.
I've had those dyslexic moments in life too. Aren't they fun.