Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you learn today in Quilting?

Blog Entries
    What did you learn today in Quilting?

I was surfing online and found a new product Texture Magic.

Craftybear

Blog Entries
    I also learn how to do the tube quilting blocks and making a table runner. I will post a photo when I get it done.

Craftybear

That it's harder to get teeny, tiny triangle points to match than larger ones. Getting there though.

I made my first OBW. It was a challenge but I conquered it.

Blog Entries
    What is OBW?

Quote Originally Posted by Justok

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What is OBW?

Quote Originally Posted by Justok
    One Block Wonder.

Gal
    What did I learn im quilting today?......That hand quilting is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I drove a two hour round trip to the city today to a new quilting shop which I have just discovered, to be informed they did not stock hand quilting thread!.... I was amazed! No call for it these days the lady behind the counter said, not enough people hand quilt to warrent stocking it!
    Am I in the minority then? Guess I must be!

Yes, I know I could have phoned on ahead ........but I had to check out their fabrics didn't I?

Gal

Banned
    I hope it's not dead! I only hand quilt. Would love to have a long arm but they are so expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Gal
    What did I learn im quilting today?......That hand quilting is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I drove a two hour round trip to the city today to a new quilting shop which I have just discovered, to be informed they did not stock hand quilting thread!.... I was amazed! No call for it these days the lady behind the counter said, not enough people hand quilt to warrent stocking it!

Yes, I know I could have phoned on ahead ........but I had to check out their fabrics didn't I?

Gal

I learned it takes much longer to make a GFG than I had thought. I finished one last year after putting it on the back burner off and on, and it took quite a long time. I started this one on New Year's day, and have worked on it nearly every day. Some days for several hours! Have most of the blocks done, now just to put them all together! I figured I'd get it done in three monts.....not going to happen I guess :-( Oh well.
    Phyllis

I learned that I don't like deadlines.

What is a GFG?

Ditter

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    What is a GFG?

Ditter
    grandmothers flower garden

I learned I dont like working with panels. Trying to get the right pattern and size blocks to put around them is a real challenge. No more make up quilts I am only going to use a quilt pattern for a whole quilt from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gal

Gal
    I do about 90% hand quilting. That's why I don't get near the amount of quilts finished as most people. But it is well worth it. Good therapy and when finished they are beautiful. I love the look of the hand quilted ones. Another disapointment is going to a quilt show and not seeing very much hand quilting. I do some machine quilting on small items such as throws that will be used by my grandkids on the floor and wherever else. Would hate to see my hand quilting efforts abused.

Blog Entries
    i learned my grandson,jack,who is two, wants to push the start/stop button on my machine..and he is getting to big for grandma to have him in the middle of me and the machine! he likes to get behind the machine and watch the stitches come out the other end..i di fancy stitches for him...

Blog Entries
    I learned how to sew two squares into two triangles, lol, that sounds easy eh! lol well it was a first for me actually! really cool though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    I learned how to sew two squares into two triangles, lol, that sounds easy eh! lol well it was a first for me actually! really cool though!
    GOOD FOR YOU!!
    I am proud of you! what is next?!

I learned there was a great sale on at a fabric store near me. My friend was right, it was a GREAT sale. LOL

Gal, happy stitching trails to us. Try Joanns or Hobby Lobby for quilt thread. Both stores carry a nice selection of colors in my neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    I did this and I learned I don't know how to do it right so that I don't lose my points. I made a quilt top, and lost all but one point, but I still like it, and am proud of myself for trying something new. It was my first time doing triangles.

What did I learn today? It is ok to take time away from quilting and go for a walk. Now my head is clear and I'm ready to get back to work.

I learned that I love going on shop hops.

How nice for you Sizie. I am looking forward to a hop next month

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I learned I love to quilt my tops. I had done small wall hangings on my other older machine, but today --- see my "update on log cabin and scrappy" quilting post..... Not bad work for the first time. Makes me want a log arm more than ever.
    Of course I also learned .... I need practice..practice..practice.

Blog Entries
    I learned what GFG means. lol

...and last night I learned that one should not plan a block when tired and DEFINITELY don't cut fabric. I cut all the pieces for the first block and did the math for the left overs. WELL, tired brain was apparently math-challenged and I did not have enough for Plan A. Now I'm on to Plan B - which has not materialized yet.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast