Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with a handmade wedding gift? >

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Default What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

Five years ago when I got married my great aunt made me a beautiful quilt and a friend of the family crocheted a blanket. As a quilter myself, I wholly appreciate the time, effort, and love that went into these gifts but...

They have spent the last five years in my closet because I already had several blankets and they really aren't "my style." I'm trying to decide whether to keep these blankets or donate them to someone who needs them, perhaps Project Linus.

So my question to you is, if you made a quilt for someone and they didn't use it, would you rather that they found someone who would or would you rather than they hung on to it?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Personally, I would hang on to them. Lives change in unexpected ways, and they could mean a lot to a family member later on.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:09 PM

I made my mother a quilt that she oohed and aahed over, but it promptly went to the closet, never to be seen again. She even complains about how much room it takes up. I would love to have it back for myself or give it to someone else who would use it for its intended purpose. I think there is nothing wrong with passing it on to someone who will use it.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:23 PM

I would be hurt if I found out that a quilt I made as a wedding gift for a niece or daughter was passed on to a stranger. If they don't like it I would prefer they come to me and let me make them something else and then choose who the first quilt went to.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:27 PM

I offer my family an exchange program. If you received one of my quilts you can trade it for any quilt I have , that is not designated for a specific person. About once a year I send out photos, of the quilts I have that are available to trade.
I would rather get a quilt back than it sit on a closest shelf, or in the dogs bed.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:32 PM

Wow, what a great idea!!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

This is an excellent idea. My MIL made DH a few afghans. I pull them out of a display cabinet I have and throw them on the back of the sofa when it gets a little cooler. I wash them once a year on cool then toss into the dryer on low. I put a couple bay leaves in the cabinet and helps to keep any critters away.
Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I offer my family an exchange program. If you received one of my quilts you can trade it for any quilt I have , that is not designated for a specific person. About once a year I send out photos, of the quilts I have that are available to trade.
I would rather get a quilt back than it sit on a closest shelf, or in the dogs bed.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM

A quilt exchange is a wonderful idea.

Last edited by DebraK; 05-28-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

A friend of mine does the same thing as Lori S with the swap program. No ones feelings get hurt!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 PM

I wholeheartedly believe that when you give something away it belongs to whoever it was given to, to do with whatever and however they wish, Now with that said knowing families and quilts and how they are perceived I think I would ask Aunt if she had a preference, maybe even one of her children would be interested in it, if there was no interest there, then by all means I would donate it or find a home for it that will put it to use.
I also Love Lori's suggestion.....