Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with a handmade wedding gift? >

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I would definitely hang on to the quilt and the blanket. Someday you may want to pass them on to your children or grandchildren, or there may be someone in your great aunt's family (if she passes away) who would be thrilled to receive something she made. And no matter what she would say, I think she would be a little hurt that you don't love her quilt enough to keep it.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:00 PM

I'd rather see someone use it rather than it sitting in a closet. And I agree that once I give a gift, it's the recipient's to use or give away as they wish. That's why I don't make quilts for anyone anymore unless I discuss it with them first.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I offer my family an exchange program. If you received one of my quilts you can trade it for any quilt I have , that is not designated for a specific person. About once a year I send out photos, of the quilts I have that are available to trade.
I would rather get a quilt back than it sit on a closest shelf, or in the dogs bed.
i love this idea
Old 05-28-2014, 04:22 PM

One good reason why I don't make quilts as gifts for relatives. I made a wall hanging for my sis-in-law with a matching table runner using her favorite colors; that was 15 years ago, I have yet to see them anywhere at her house.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM

When I was first teaching myself to quilt, I made my MIL a lap quilt with some pre-printed dog panels. It was nothing special. She recently asked me if I would mind if she gave it to her great-niece, since she has no grandchildren. I said I would not mind, but I really wish she would have just used it herself (she acted like it is some great family heirloom-LOL). I still have the granny square afghan my grandmother made for me in the late 1960s. I don't use it now, but I could never part with it.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM

Good suggestions from everyone. I only give quilts to my kids and tell them if they ever don't want them to please return them to me. At this point they have kept every one I've given them and they use them all. Your tastes may change in the future and you may regret giving away a quilt that a family member made for you.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:54 PM

I believe that when someone gifts another person with something ( yes, even a quilt ) the item then belongs to them and they can do whatever they want to do with it.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
Five years ago when I got married my great aunt made me a beautiful quilt and a friend of the family crocheted a blanket. As a quilter myself, I wholly appreciate the time, effort, and love that went into these gifts but...

They have spent the last five years in my closet because I already had several blankets and they really aren't "my style." I'm trying to decide whether to keep these blankets or donate them to someone who needs them, perhaps Project Linus.

So my question to you is, if you made a quilt for someone and they didn't use it, would you rather that they found someone who would or would you rather than they hung on to it?
I would have a really hard time giving away a quilt, even if it's not my style. Even if it's not on display or being used on a bed, you can always pull it out when you've got extra house guests.

I make lots of quilts for Project Linus, and your quilt and afghan may actually be too big. Their quilts are only for children and generally no bigger than a large lap quilt. It's not intended to be a bed covering.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
Five years ago when I got married my great aunt made me a beautiful quilt and a friend of the family crocheted a blanket. As a quilter myself, I wholly appreciate the time, effort, and love that went into these gifts but...

They have spent the last five years in my closet because I already had several blankets and they really aren't "my style." I'm trying to decide whether to keep these blankets or donate them to someone who needs them, perhaps Project Linus.

So my question to you is, if you made a quilt for someone and they didn't use it, would you rather that they found someone who would or would you rather than they hung on to it?
I guess I come from a different angle, I don't get not using the quilt and blanket, even if they are not your style or colors quilts can be on beds under coverlets or comforters. They can be used when we have company and need more bedding or tossed in the car when you head to the drive in or a picnic in the park. afghans well I have several most of them not in my colors they are folded up and available for snuggling with when watching tv. Unless I absolutly did not have the room I would keep it and try to find a way to use it then possibly gift it it one of my children, or other family member that would cherish it. I would really hate to see you give it away and regret it later.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM

My first response is, please feel free to do with the quilt and blanket as you please. If it is getting in the way and you really do not want it, that is okay.

Personally I could not do it. It is so rare for a quilter to receive a quilt. My grandmother gave me two crochetted twin bed spreads that were made for her when she was a child. She gave them to me because she knew I would keep them and take care of them. We no longer have any twin beds in our house, but I can't let them go.