Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with leftover batting?

Everytime I make a quilt, I usually buy more batting 90" wide from Hobby Lobby for my quilt. I like that size as it is more adaptable to larger quilts. Depending on the size, I wind up with leftovers. Now I have a huge stash of various small to medium size pieces. What can I do with them? They are not enough to do more than possibly potholders. I don't want to start new projects to take care of batting. Suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilla
    Everytime I make a quilt, I wind up buying more batting to go along with the size of the quilt. Usually I have to trim the edges and stash the remainder. Now I have a huge stash of various small to medium size pieces. What can I do with them? They are not enough to do more than possibly put in potholders. I don't want to start projects to take care of batting. Suggestions?
    I just saw a suggestion the other day somewhere that said to snip the batting in tiny pieces and use it to stuff pillows, etc.

Potholders, mug rugs....people will pay the postage for them if you list them on here. You could zig-zag them together, if your that patient.

Make minatures. I buy larges batting, and use the scraps for practicing stitches on, and also making sizes down to a 4" cup mat for my desk . I'm learning never to throw anything away. I just put all my scraps in a large zippered bag because I was being eaten alive with batting pieces. It worked well, and doesn't look so bad in the room.

they also have a tape that you can use to put your pieces together with.

I use them for lining bags, potholders, and piece some together for potholders. Mostly I stuff them in a large plastic bin and forget they're there. I do plan on making a dogbed (#267 on my to-do list) and will prob use them to stuff thatt.
    How do you sew them together without a ridge or lump in them?

You can piece the pieces together and make one of the photo board collage frames :-) I am working on my tutorial for that tomorrow :-)

I recently cut a bunch of mine into 6 inch squares to use in a flannel raggedy quilt...some day!

Laurie

Does the tape really work!? How does it hold up in the wash? I'm sure it depends on the stitching when quilted but is it that good? I do like the idea though.

Banned
    I piece them back together for use in donation quilts. just use zigzag stiching and they quilt up just like it was never cut.no lumps or bumps.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast