Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with leftover batting?

Everytime I make a quilt, I usually buy more batting 90" wide from Hobby Lobby for my quilt. I like that size as it is more adaptable to larger quilts. Depending on the size, I wind up with leftovers. Now I have a huge stash of various small to medium size pieces. What can I do with them? They are not enough to do more than possibly potholders. I don't want to start new projects to take care of batting. Suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilla
    Everytime I make a quilt, I wind up buying more batting to go along with the size of the quilt. Usually I have to trim the edges and stash the remainder. Now I have a huge stash of various small to medium size pieces. What can I do with them? They are not enough to do more than possibly put in potholders. I don't want to start projects to take care of batting. Suggestions?
    I just saw a suggestion the other day somewhere that said to snip the batting in tiny pieces and use it to stuff pillows, etc.

Potholders, mug rugs....people will pay the postage for them if you list them on here. You could zig-zag them together, if your that patient.

Make minatures. I buy larges batting, and use the scraps for practicing stitches on, and also making sizes down to a 4" cup mat for my desk . I'm learning never to throw anything away. I just put all my scraps in a large zippered bag because I was being eaten alive with batting pieces. It worked well, and doesn't look so bad in the room.

they also have a tape that you can use to put your pieces together with.

I use them for lining bags, potholders, and piece some together for potholders. Mostly I stuff them in a large plastic bin and forget they're there. I do plan on making a dogbed (#267 on my to-do list) and will prob use them to stuff thatt.
    How do you sew them together without a ridge or lump in them?

You can piece the pieces together and make one of the photo board collage frames :-) I am working on my tutorial for that tomorrow :-)

I recently cut a bunch of mine into 6 inch squares to use in a flannel raggedy quilt...some day!

Laurie

Does the tape really work!? How does it hold up in the wash? I'm sure it depends on the stitching when quilted but is it that good? I do like the idea though.

Banned
    I piece them back together for use in donation quilts. just use zigzag stiching and they quilt up just like it was never cut.no lumps or bumps.

I save all of my leftover batting and just zigzaz them together. I use them for wallhangings as they won't be washed. Smaller ones I use for coasters or table mats or table toppers.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg
    I recently cut a bunch of mine into 6 inch squares to use in a flannel raggedy quilt...some day!

Laurie
    That's what I do with mine, or I use my batting remnants for QAYG projects. It's hard to let anything go to waste when you know it could be used for something eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Fanny

Laurie
    That's what I do with mine, or I use my batting remnants for QAYG projects. It's hard to let anything go to waste when you know it could be used for something eventually!
    I don't intend to throw it away, but eventually is here and I can't get into my closet without crawling through stacks of batting. The idea of cutting them up for pillows is great, as I make plenty of them and have been buying pillowforms. The problem is what do you put them in because when you want to wash the outside they'll all pop out. Not good!

Blog Entries
    How about trying some QAYG?

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    I piece them back together for use in donation quilts. just use zigzag stiching and they quilt up just like it was never cut.no lumps or bumps.
    This is what I do too. Never had a problem with it coming apart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Fanny

Laurie
    I don't intend to throw it away, but eventually is here and I can't get into my closet without crawling through stacks of batting. The idea of cutting them up for pillows is great, as I make plenty of them and have been buying pillowforms. The problem is what do you put them in because when you want to wash the outside they'll all pop out. Not good!
    I make my own pillow forms by just cutting 2 pieces of muslin the size I want (14" sq, or whatever) sew it all but a small section and fill it with fiberfill, or all those little pieces of batting you cut up. and then sew the opening shut. You don't even have to turn it inside out. I like to use the serger, but a zigzag works.

Thanx to the folks who said you can put them together. I never thought of it or heard if from my quilter friends.

If you want to use the pieces for stuffing pillows, first make a muslin lining for the pillow. That way, you can just take the pillow cover off to wash as needed. :)

Quote Originally Posted by dgsmom
    I bought some of that tape. But believe me, for putting small pieces of batting together on a regular basis, it is cost prohibitive! Convenient for doing larger pieces once in a while or maybe smaller in an emergency, but $$$$

I use mine for QAYG (quilt as you go)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmom
    I bought some of that tape. But believe me, for putting small pieces of batting together on a regular basis, it is cost prohibitive! Convenient for doing larger pieces once in a while or maybe smaller in an emergency, but $$$$
    It would seem to me that if you want to bond pieces of warm & natural you could use lightweight fusible interfacing cut into narrow strips. Ironing it on one or both sides shouldn't flatten it down enough to be noticeable. I don't think it would work for other batting though. Hmmm....may have to try it and see if it works. I have tons of interfacing too.

If I have at strip at least 12 inches wide and the WOF(batting) I save them and when I get about 7 or 8 piecec I sew them together and I hve batting for a twin size. Save more and you can make it bigger. Little scraps I make potholders or casters with. I usually will make some crumb blocks to do this.

I zig zag pieces together for placemats, pouches, table runners, etc. It works great just sewing pieces together and then cut what you need. I waste hardly any!

Lately I sewed big pieces together to make three quilts and I still have a bunch left. I also use the narrow strips to add whenever I don't have a size I really need to make it longer or wider.

Quote Originally Posted by katiebear1
    If I have at strip at least 12 inches wide and the WOF(batting) I save them and when I get about 7 or 8 piecec I sew them together and I hve batting for a twin size. Save more and you can make it bigger. Little scraps I make potholders or casters with. I usually will make some crumb blocks to do this.
    May I ask, what are "crumb blocks"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast