Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with Pre-cut Squares? >

What to do with Pre-cut Squares?

What to do with Pre-cut Squares?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 AM

Default What to do with Pre-cut Squares?

A few months ago a friend gave me a giant box of pre-cut squares. They measure 3, 5 and 8 inches and are mostly florals/solids. I have been trying to find a scrap quilt pattern for them. Any suggestions? (I really don't want to have to trim the squares if I can help it.)
Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Hmm, so you want to just use the 3 size squares in the same quilt without cutting them? Those sizes don't play well together, so you might want to add some sashing to take the smaller squares up to the 8" size.
If you want to make 3 quilts, using only one size square in each, check out the moda bake shop:
http://www.modabakeshop.com/p/recipes.html

Look for patterns using charm squares. Charms are 5", so you will have to adapt the pattern for the 3" and 8" versions.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 AM

I found myself in the position of needing a baby quilt and no funds to purchase new fabric. So I started digging in my scrap piles and meager stash. I found a short stack of 5" flannel squares and a bunch of flannel scraps in baby prints. I cut down the smaller scraps to 5" squares and made 9-patches. Then I cut down the larger scraps to make alternating blocks. It is a very scrappy quilt with all the colors from a crayon box, including pink (quilt is for a boy). I sandwiched with a piece of flannel with teddy bears and am working on the fmq now. I LOVE PRECUTS. So much versatility! I don't have any specific patterns that will help you use all of your squares in one quilt, but am sure there is one out there. Have Fun!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Well I would definitely separate them in the different sizes. See how many you have then look up quilt patterns using those size squares. Be aware that you may have to trim somewhat no matter the pattern. You will probably want to incorporate other pieces for sashing and maybe binding. I personally love using different size cuts. You can google different size patterns. PaperPrincess has a good link to check out.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Hmm, so you want to just use the 3 size squares in the same quilt without cutting them? Those sizes don't play well together, so you might want to add some sashing to take the smaller squares up to the 8" size.
If you want to make 3 quilts, using only one size square in each, check out the moda bake shop:
http://www.modabakeshop.com/p/recipes.html

Look for patterns using charm squares. Charms are 5", so you will have to adapt the pattern for the 3" and 8" versions.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 AM

You could use the 3" squares as is, make halfsquare triangles from the 5" squares and trim those. Then make some form/variation of 9 patch with the 3" squares + squares from half square triangles, which should finish at 7.5", which would work perfectly with the 8" squares alternating with the 9 patches.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 AM

Scrap Therapy has some perfect patterns for that -

http://hummingbird-highway.com/patte...rapy-patterns/

I have a bucket of scraps that I make HST with. I have them all set out so that I can make the Bloomin' Steps Quilt.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 AM

Thanks everyone,

I wasn't planning on using all three sizes in one quilt. I just want to do something a little more interesting then sewing the blocks together in rows, ya know? I like your idea Sue. Maybe I will try that.

Melissa
Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Scrap Therapy has some perfect patterns for that -

http://hummingbird-highway.com/patte...rapy-patterns/

I have a bucket of scraps that I make HST with. I have them all set out so that I can make the Bloomin' Steps Quilt.
Oh! This is pretty! http://hummingbird-highway.com/patte...stained-glass/
Old 10-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I am in the process of trimming squares to 3-1/2". I already had lots of that size. Not sure just how I will put them together. Will be trimming for another day at least. Still trying to use up my scraps. An almost impossible task, they seem to multiply.