Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do? >

What to do?

What to do?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 AM

For Christmas I made my Mom, Aunt and my brother a quilt. The tops were finished, I just needed to get them quilted. Mom's was being quilted, she had picked it out so she had seen hers.

Here is the problem. Right after Christmas, we found out Mom has colon/rectal cancer, it is comming along good with radation and chemo, she got her quilt the first radiation treatment, she loves it!

My Aunt just found out she has cancer on her kidney, she doesn't have her quilt yet, I had to make adjustments and with mom and going to school, just haven't had time to finish.

This is the first two quilts I have made and given to people. Should I quit making quilts and giving them out? Am I really killing off my family? Should I burn my brothers quilt?

Mom told me that she had cancer before we even bought the stuff for it. So go ahead and finish them.

I know in a few months we are going to have a good laugh over this. Should I be afraid to give anyone a quilt I have made? Would you want a quilt from me if you were in my family?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:26 AM

No. Keep going. Some day this will be what helps you through. Even your mom said keep going. I find quilting grounds me and lets my mind be free. Some day you will realize quilting is another form of love to those you care about.

You are in my prayers!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 AM

This reminds me of what happened to me a few years ago. Every time I had a dentist appointment (which were always on Mondays due to dentist's schedule) one of our neighbors died the previous weekend. This happend 4 months in a row! Then 3 months passed and I had another dentist appt. Sure enough, another neighbor died! I stopped going to that dentist and found one that was available other days.
In total we lost 6 people we knew that year, 5 of them neighbors.
But as for the quilts, I think it's great that your family has that comfort while they are getting chemo, so I say keep on making them. Good luck to you and your family members.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 AM

This was God's plan, your quilt making had nothing to do with it. Keep doing your good work, the rest will be taken care of by higher powers. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

No I think just the opposite. It is wonderful you were so prepared without knowing. Now your mom has her quilt and your aunt hopefully soon. I think the glass is half full not half empty. As for your bother please do not worry about it. I am sure he could use a quilt hug now mom is ill.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Suppose you hadn't made the quilts or had put it off for another time. Then you'd be telling yourself you should have done it sooner. It's just a coincidence. "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." You are not a jinx. Your quilts will be a comfort.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Your gifts show your love for your family, regardless of their health. The point is not if they get sick, the point is that you wanted to give them a token of your love. what better time than now?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I do not believe in things like that! Finish the quilts and give them to the people you love!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 PM

I also believe that you were blessed to be on a quilt making jag just when people need one.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Suppose you hadn't made the quilts or had put it off for another time. Then you'd be telling yourself you should have done it sooner. It's just a coincidence. "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." You are not a jinx. Your quilts will be a comfort.
I agree. I made quilts for my brother and sister, who died. The quilts only made their passing easier, particularly for my sister who was in a really nasty hospital many miles from home. 2 friends credit the gifts of my quilts as having helped them get thru their cancers. There is a great deal of evidence that feeling loved is a factor in all healing. I think one of these quilts may have been important, as she is now a 5 year survivor after a diagnosis of stage 4 inoperable brain cancer. My neighbor, with a less extreme cancer, got her quilt from my cupboard the day she was diagnosed. We were both glad to wrap her in the love of my quilt.

Jinxes are only real as an embodiment of hatred. Love is real and is very powerful.