Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with them now? >

What to do with them now?

What to do with them now?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:19 AM

Default What to do with them now?

This is a queen size quilt I made for my sister back in the early 80's (I'm dating myself here...) in browns and apricot. There is also a matching pillow sham. By the time I surprised her with it she had changed her bedroom's color palette, so apparently it languished for a bit on her spare bed. I used perle cotton to tie it and they are still like brand new. It has spent most of the last 30+ years in a linen cabinet, and she has just given it back to me to make room for some new towels.
This is the first quilt on which I made the binding by whip stitching the front and back fabrics at the edges. My mom had chosen the backing and it didn't go with the front at all, so finding a binding to play nice with both sides was impossible.
And then I have another one I made for myself at the same time, similar but in browns and a little more pinks. My MIL got upset because she didn't have a quilt so I had given it to her, but it came back to me when she passed away.
OK, so now what do I do with TWO of them? The fabric definitely dates them. Maybe donate them to Battered Women's Shelter? Should I longarm them or leave the ties? I thought of resewing them into 2-4 pieces and making charity quilts, I would just have to make new borders for them. Even back then the fabric for the tops cost $100.
Attached Thumbnails bevslogcabin1988.jpg   bevslogcabin4.jpg  

Last edited by Baloonatic; 09-26-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 AM

It is beautiful as it is. I like the older materials. Remember the older is coming in style again.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 AM

I'd leave the ties and donate to a battered women's shelter.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:38 AM

I would go ahead and donate it. Only because I would never get around to doing the quilting. I have a Christmas quilt now that every year I intend to take it apart and quilt it - but never do, too many other projects get in the way. But it would probably be better for the shelter if it were quilted instead of tied. I say that only because when people are nervous they tend to pick at loose threads.

It looks wonderful!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 AM

I agree with Mucky
Old 09-26-2014, 08:53 AM

You can donate them, keep them, or sell them. I would keep them in the family only because I made them and they are in such nice condition. Whatever you do, don't stress over your decision and be at peace with what you decide.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 AM

Yes, I would donate them to a batter women's shelter or homeless shelter. They will receive much needed love at either place. This is beautiful and even it you feel the colors are dated, some people love the colors. It will also make you feel so good to know they will be loved.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:10 AM

I would have a difficult time parting with them, if only for because I made them for someone special. I am sure these quilts have a purpose that's not obvious right now. The one pictured is beautiful.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Yes i also agree donate it!!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:51 AM

I agree to donate them and be happy they are bringing warmth and comfort to someone else! We just can't keep everything--the older we get the more we need to share and give away!