View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Baloonatic

Default What to do with them now?

This is a queen size quilt I made for my sister back in the early 80's (I'm dating myself here...) in browns and apricot. There is also a matching pillow sham. By the time I surprised her with it she had changed her bedroom's color palette, so apparently it languished for a bit on her spare bed. I used perle cotton to tie it and they are still like brand new. It has spent most of the last 30+ years in a linen cabinet, and she has just given it back to me to make room for some new towels.
This is the first quilt on which I made the binding by whip stitching the front and back fabrics at the edges. My mom had chosen the backing and it didn't go with the front at all, so finding a binding to play nice with both sides was impossible.
And then I have another one I made for myself at the same time, similar but in browns and a little more pinks. My MIL got upset because she didn't have a quilt so I had given it to her, but it came back to me when she passed away.
OK, so now what do I do with TWO of them? The fabric definitely dates them. Maybe donate them to Battered Women's Shelter? Should I longarm them or leave the ties? I thought of resewing them into 2-4 pieces and making charity quilts, I would just have to make new borders for them. Even back then the fabric for the tops cost $100.
Attached Thumbnails bevslogcabin1988.jpg   bevslogcabin4.jpg  

Last edited by Baloonatic; 09-26-2014 at 07:21 AM.