Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your fabric scraps?

What I mean is: the scraps that are oddly shaped, do you go ahead and cut them into squares and strips? Do you just leave it in it's wonky state?
    I'm asking b/c I have 4 large tote boxes full of fabric. I am new to quilting but have had a year long love affair with wanting to quilt. So, I don't want to go out and purchase fabric when I have such a huge stash. This is overwhelming me.

Check out Bonnie Hunter's method of using scraps at Quiltville.com

I cut them into 2.5 inch blocks or 1.5 inch blocks that I am saving in a plastic shoe box. Then if they are beyond use, put them in the pile for stuffing for dog beds for the Animal Shelter. I cut off the salvages and am saving them in an envelope to send off to another member on the board.

What does the other member do with the selvages? Very curious.

I seperate them into light and dark scraps and do not cut them until I find a scrappy quilt pattern that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by luvstitches
    I seperate them into light and dark scraps and do not cut them until I find a scrappy quilt pattern that I like.
    Same here. I feel like I'd rather not do the work of cutting them until I know what I'm going to use them for, especially since what I end up making may use different sized pieces from what I would have cut them into.

Blog Entries
    i leave all of my scraps as they are... i never know what i'll need it for, so the shape comes later

I don't usually cut mine into squares until I find a scrappy quilt pattern I like, and then I work away at cutting those sizes when I have time. But the only reason I don't cut mine is because I love to appliqué and you can use some pretty small odd shaped pieces up when needing to only cut one small leaf or whatever.

I don't cut mine either, just leave as is.

Have a question though, about scraps... when is a piece of fabric actually considered a scrap?

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar
    Some I keep in a box that I use when I am working on a sewing machine (I sell a lot of old sewing machines...), that way I can see how it is stitching and make samples using the different attachments.

I don't like the ones that are all kinds a shapes so I straighten them up a little with my rotary cutter and put them in another box. I sometimes seperate them by color or theme, keeping all kids fabrics seperate. I keep the cottons seperate from the flannels too.

I have an old buffet in my basement I use as a cutting table and I store lots of scraps in the drawers and UFO's in the one side door and stuffing in other.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast