Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you look for in a Quilt Guild? >

What do you look for in a Quilt Guild?

What do you look for in a Quilt Guild?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:19 AM

I don't belong to a guild and have no desire to, at least right now, but I am lucky enough to be one of four gals who love to get together several weekends out of the year to work on a current project or start a new one. We work independently...rarely do we do the same thing. It's all about getting together and getting totally immersed in our sewing and visiting, and also to see what each other is working on. Oh, and did I mention that it is also all about the food?
Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 PM

I have belonged in a Guild for over 10 years..I was in charge of membership for a while and then left that for a younger person. We have a quilt show every two years. None of the quilts in our show are judged and we are all encouraged to enter as many as we want. Four ladies in our guild have won prizes in national quilt shows but they don't snub any ones' work.. We are in a rural area but we have grown to over 100, have 2 retreats a year, a bus trip to big quilt shows, etc.

1. I like the friendliness, but like all things one must want to be friendly also.
2. No quilt police, just encouraging others.
3. Activities that you choose to participate or not.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:51 PM

I belong to two MQ Guilds, but not the one in my home town. Why? Because the one at home meets during the day and I had to work and now I go to university.

I joined my first guild 2 years ago, the dues are $40.00 per year (for each guild), which I feel is reasonable for what I get.

I went to my first guild meeting 5 days after my ex left me. I was completely traumatized, but being around a great group of people who knew nothing of what was happening in my personal life, and therefore did not ask questions about it, was cathartic. I have attended workshops, charity sew days and sew ins. I am not on any committees, but am happy to volunteer when an extra helper is needed. This guild has about 130 members and 50-80 come to each meeting.

The second guild, is an hour north of home and is a new MQG. The membership is still small, less than 20, but will grow over time. I have not yet attended any of the 'extras, sew ins etc' but have put my name forward to do a demo in the fall.

Things I like about my guilds:
Friendly
Charity oriented
Activities - workshops, sew ins etc
Volunteering
Encouragement
Block Lotto
Old 06-16-2016, 06:35 PM

I joined my guild in order to take advantage of free beginner classes since I wasn't a quilter at the time--just a wannabe! That was 6 years ago and I've been the newsletter editor for 5 1/2 yr, secretary and next year probably president. What I like about my guild"
1. it's large enough that there are all types of quilters (we are a rural community) and anyone would help if asked
2. we do several community service projects (winding down a huge one that has taken 3 years and we are not doing that extensive of one in the future!)
3. we focus on learning about & promoting quilting--us, via demos at our annual quilt show, outreach to youth, etc
4. we have an annual show that is open to anyone--and isn't real focused on winning but on showing what we are doing.
5. there's always groups doing stuff--and while in this big of group (150+) there are people that see each other outside of guild, everyone tries to be very friendly and welcoming to each other and newbies or visitors
6. we try to do monthly workshops, 2 retreats and have a monthly program--everyone can participate at the level they desire.
7. we respect that about half the members are unable to attend daytime meetings (which we need also for those that don't drive at night) and we have regular night meetings and workshops are on weekends.

I would add that any group's ability to be dynamic and continue will depend upon all members getting involved to the best of their ability--so if you do not want to get involved in the activities, then maybe what you are looking for is just a small group of 4-6 that get together to sew only.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:14 AM

I'll be quick.....friendly quilters with a variety of skill levels.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:10 AM

I am in a group of just 8 ladies. No dues or jobs just a monthly get together of sharing what we have made, are working on or plan to work on. One may share a new or different idea and we go on a road trip or have a quilt day at one of our homes with a potluck every so often. We meet monthly at one gal's home who has created a chicken barn to a quilting studio. To me it's a perfect setup.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:23 AM

Cliques are just groups of people who are uncomfortable stepping beyond their comfort zone. We have all belonged to them ..if we are honest with ourselves. Nothing new. It is human nature. We all tend to gather with our personal friends, etc. My personality is to talk to people in elevators. I am not "shy". And, no, I never expect to "belong" with every group. Seek out others who are sitting alone, introduce yourself and start a conversation with small talk. You will find your niche. And you will make others feel welcome in the meantime. My fav line is..."Step out your box"!

I, too, prefer the quilds that are smaller and loose. I don't have time to sit on a Board, a committee, run a Quilt show, etc.

Sandy
Old 06-17-2016, 04:26 AM

I find that there are no longer "Bees" that they all go under the Guild name. I belong to a bee, that is about 18 people and love it. We meet once a month, have a lesson and lunch and have a great time. I feel like I know the ladies in that Bee. Then I belong to the large Pensacola Guild. There are two meetings a month, a day and a night meeting. We are said to be cliquish. But I find that visitors come and sit and don't interact. A Guild is like a large church. If you don't meet in small groups or join, you will never find friends. You can't meet anyone by sitting by them once a month and only exchanging pleasantries and small talk. So my advice for anyone that finds a guild too big. Join a class, volunteer and meet others.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:30 AM

Please do not join any guild--or any organization for that matter--with the intent to only attend and take advantage of programming offered. One of the best ways to get acquainted is to volunteer to serve on at least one committee. Organizations don't run successfully without a lot of members sharing the work of the group. Being a member of any group should mean more than just putting your name on the list. Actively participate, please!
Old 06-17-2016, 05:00 AM

I belonged to three guilds in Missouri before moving to Texas. One of the guilds had 70+ and I belonged to that one the longest. There were clicks, but there was enough other members that I felt part of the group. The other two were 20-30 members and I did not feel welcomed to either one of them. I only the clicks wants were taken care of. If one of the click members did not want something done, it was not done. Here in Texas I joined a group of 200-300 members. They are very active, there are clicks, but I am not bothered by them. They offer great meeting programs, and wonderful classes at a really affordable price. They do a lot of charity quilting for different organizations. The meeting last 2 hours with programs that last most of that time. I guess you need to look what it is you want. Everyone is different.