View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 06:35 PM
quiltingshorttimer

I joined my guild in order to take advantage of free beginner classes since I wasn't a quilter at the time--just a wannabe! That was 6 years ago and I've been the newsletter editor for 5 1/2 yr, secretary and next year probably president. What I like about my guild"
1. it's large enough that there are all types of quilters (we are a rural community) and anyone would help if asked
2. we do several community service projects (winding down a huge one that has taken 3 years and we are not doing that extensive of one in the future!)
3. we focus on learning about & promoting quilting--us, via demos at our annual quilt show, outreach to youth, etc
4. we have an annual show that is open to anyone--and isn't real focused on winning but on showing what we are doing.
5. there's always groups doing stuff--and while in this big of group (150+) there are people that see each other outside of guild, everyone tries to be very friendly and welcoming to each other and newbies or visitors
6. we try to do monthly workshops, 2 retreats and have a monthly program--everyone can participate at the level they desire.
7. we respect that about half the members are unable to attend daytime meetings (which we need also for those that don't drive at night) and we have regular night meetings and workshops are on weekends.

I would add that any group's ability to be dynamic and continue will depend upon all members getting involved to the best of their ability--so if you do not want to get involved in the activities, then maybe what you are looking for is just a small group of 4-6 that get together to sew only.