Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of these Bohin or Fons and Porter chalk marking pencils >

What do you think of these Bohin or Fons and Porter chalk marking pencils

What do you think of these Bohin or Fons and Porter chalk marking pencils

Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM

I'm looking for something other than water/air soluble markets because I'm scatterbrained enough to forget the cautions about setting the markings.

I've also used regular lead pencil but don't find it soft enough to mark easily even though I put my pieces on sandpaper for more stability when marking.

My main usage is for marking diagonals for flying geese type blocks.

The first one is also manufactured under the Fons and Porter name. My primary concern with this one is whether the "extra fine" .9mm lead is fine enough for precision sewing on the line.
http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Mechanic...9479802&sr=8-2

My primary concern with this one is how often one would need to sharpen the point.
http://www.amazon.com/Bohin-Mechanic...478914&sr=8-10

Your experiences and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Cathy
Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 AM

I have two Bohin pencils, one for white and one for darker color chalks. I have spent lots on pencils to try until I found these and now will use these all the time. I love them. The interesting thing is that if you mark lightly you can erase with the eraser on the end of the pencil. Buy the set with the mix of colors and then you can get an extra cartridge of white later. PS they don't have to be sharpened!!! Good luck,
Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM

I use the Bohin alot and have had no problems with it. I also like the Frixxon(sp?) gel pens that you can iron off.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I have used the Fons & Porter and they work fine. I have te Bohin, but to be honest they are still in the package. I got them clearance amd haven't needed to use them yet.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I use the F & P white one for darker fabs.. I like it alot..
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the reply, Lois. I've also spent a fortune trying to find just the right one.

Do you have either of those shown by my links? I thought you were talking about the first link but you threw me when you mentioned mix of colors because I've only seen it with the white, although tubes of other colors can be purchased separately. The second one has a sharpener included, so my reference to sharpening.

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

I have both of these tools. The mechanical pencil I have the fons and porter one but it is the same thing.

Mechanical, makes a very fine line. I used this tool to draw the dragon and tiger on my MC quilt. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-161213-1.htm
As you can see the design is quite detailed and fine so no problems doing fine lines with this tool. The ceramic lead rubs off very easy. I had to remark my lines numerous times during the quilting process. If you want it for DSM quilting, I have my doubts the marks would hold up with all the rubbing the quilt gets with manipulating it through the throat. If you quilt on a rack, I think they would hold up ok.

The Bohin product makes a much fatter line. You can see the marks clearly on this quilt I was working on and used this tool to mark the spines of the feather in the border, http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-138359-1.htm
the chalk does not hold a point at all. It works well for my purposes though, which is usually just basic registration lines. Additionally, other users of this product have posted problems removing some of the colored chalks, specifically the orange. I have not run into that myself.

Edited to add, for your purpose of marking the fabric for piecing the mechanical pencil will be fine. It comes white leads and graphite leads for marking light fabs. Sorry I missed that the first time I read your post. I would not buy the Bohin product for the purpose you indicated.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM

I love these as well, and I think Joann's now carries them as well, great for a coupon.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 AM

The fons & porter pencil does make a fine line, but I've had problems with it coming out of light colored fabric. I don't use it anymore.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Thanks to you all for replying. Very helpful in helping me make a decision on this.

Feline fanatic, your quilt is beautiful.