Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bohin chalk pencil refills >

Bohin chalk pencil refills

Bohin chalk pencil refills

Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM

Default Bohin chalk pencil refills

Hi,

I was wondering if the Bohin chalk pencil refills work with regular office supply type mechanical pencils. Has anyone tried the combination? I'd just as soon not buy another mechanical pencil. I have so many.

Also, does anyone have experience with the green Bohin chalk refill? Does it come out of white fabric?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:47 PM

The Bohn uses .9 lead. Most thinner type mechanical pencils (like Pentel) use .5 or .7 lead.

So, no you can't use regular stationary type pencils. I sure wish you could. I have lots of the regular type pencils. Had to buy a Bohn to use the colored chalk lead.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM

You can buy .9 lead pencils. I'll have to see if I have one. Otherwise I'll probably get the Roxanne pencils. I have one of those already and it works GREAT. (Taking advantage of the Joann's flat rate shipping today to get a few small things.)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 PM

Someone on the Board the other day said that they used a regular mechanical pencil with the chalk lead. Sorry, don't remember the topic. Ann
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM

I found a .9 mechanical pencil hanging around the house! So I went ahead and bought a variety pack of Roxanne pencils and some of the white and silver Bohin chalk leads, taking the risk that they'll work with my pencil. I like to live dangerously ;-).

If it all works, I'll have enough lead to last a lifetime, LOL.

I almost bought some Pounce chalk too but then I thought, if I do that, what will I get during Joann's next sale? LOL.

As you can tell, I need absolutely nothing, but my dog likes the UPS driver, sooooo. ;-).

Thanks all.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:02 AM

You could also try looking for the colored leads in the other standard sizes. I've seen many different colors at the office supply stores. Not sure of composition of the 'lead' so might need to do some testing. I love the Bohin pencil! I've not tried the green though. I'd want a bunch of different pencils anyhow just because I'd be too lazy to be changing lead all the time! And yes, I use a regular mechanical pencil with #2 lead to mark on white fabrics. So far, so good with it coming out in the wash.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 PM

I've used .9mm Pentel refillable pencils for years. They are (or at least were when I was purchasing them, yellow). The .5 and .7 mm ones were different color.

There must be a dozen of these pencils hanging around here. It never occurred to me to use them for marking... DUH. Thank you for coming up with these ideas for those of us whose minds are on vacation .. somewhere. Joyce in Delaware