Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use your Clover Mini Iron for? >

What do you use your Clover Mini Iron for?

What do you use your Clover Mini Iron for?

Old 08-01-2015, 06:42 PM

I use mine on that tape you use to join batting. Great when I need to join a little while quilt is still on frame.
Originally Posted by sophiebernina View Post
I was wondering what the best uses for a Clover Mini Iron are. I have been given one and want to make good use of it. I try my hand at all sorts of sewing, machine piecing, fpp, epp, applique, bag making, garment sewing. I have always used a standard iron for these projects, are there any instances where the Mini Iron would be better for the job?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:12 PM

I have one. I just wish I used it more often. My thought was to keep it to the right of my machine and iron as I piece and I have a steady betty to iron on. But I'm afraid I always revert to my regular iron. I wish I used the little one more!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:57 PM

Oh, and it also had additional tips you can buy. I remembered because I am ordering the Hot Knife tip from Wal-Mart so I can make my own templates. I've never used it for that before, but a couple of gals in my quilt guild do & they swear by it. At $4, I'm willing to give it a try ... much cheaper than buying pre-made templates.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Oh, and it also had additional tips you can buy. I remembered because I am ordering the Hot Knife tip from Wal-Mart so I can make my own templates. I've never used it for that before, but a couple of gals in my quilt guild do & they swear by it. At $4, I'm willing to give it a try ... much cheaper than buying pre-made templates.
Where can you get the hot knife tip for $4 ? I saw it online at Walmart for $5.something on sale. It was originally over $8
Old 08-02-2015, 03:26 AM

I keep mine in my "class kit". There's always a line waiting for the iron at classes, so I take it and one of those fold up cutting mats with an ironing pad on the other side. Using that little thing certainly slows down the process . . .but patience isn't my strong suit, so it's preferable to waiting for iron.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
I bought one...and hate it. No matter what temp I set it, when I iron on fabric, it's almost like it's melting something. By that I mean, the fabric is fine, but the tip has a coating that is similar to melting plastic on it!!!! I've cleaned, etc....and it STILL does it! I tried fabric that was unwashed AND washed...no spray/with spray and gave up. I'm ready to give it to Goodwill.......
That is very odd. I wonder what it could possible be?
Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 AM

I have one and I love it for taking off the marks made by the frixon pen. I do a lot of hand quilting and use it all the time. I keep mine standing upright in a mason jar. I like it much better than the stand.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:41 PM

Nothing, I got it 6 years ago and used it once. Think I know where i stashed it, so anyone wants it, pm me, maybe we can work a trade.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sophiebernina View Post
I was wondering what the best uses for a Clover Mini Iron are.
Burning myself every single dad gum time I used it!! In my opinion, it's a bad design, waaay too easy to put my finger on that lava-hot screw. I wore blisters on that finger for about 3 months, until I finally dumped it in a closet and bought the Dritz Petite Press instead. I was so happy with the Petite Press that I bought 2 more; one for a backup and the other for a friend.