Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use your Clover Mini Iron for? >

What do you use your Clover Mini Iron for?

What do you use your Clover Mini Iron for?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 PM

Default What do you use your Clover Mini Iron for?

I was wondering what the best uses for a Clover Mini Iron are. I have been given one and want to make good use of it. I try my hand at all sorts of sewing, machine piecing, fpp, epp, applique, bag making, garment sewing. I have always used a standard iron for these projects, are there any instances where the Mini Iron would be better for the job?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:45 PM

It's wonderful for fused applique or freezer paper applique -- just make sure to use a pressing sheet. I also like it for pressing a quick seam (or getting out a small wrinkle while I'm at my sewing machine. I've found that a 3oz water bottle works great to seam out any wrinkles in the fabric.

The main thing I love about it is that when pressing (1) applique or (2) folded edges (like for a folded star block), I can press without burning my fingers. I have no idea whether a mini iron is useful for most people. I have nerve damage & cannot feel hot or cold, so I was getting blisters all over my fingertips and finally realized I was burning them on the iron. I don't have that problem anymore.

The mini iron with the Large face plate (it's not very large, but that's what it's called) is great for taking to Quilt Alongs or classes for small touch-ups on fabric that I already starched & pressed at home.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I don't have the mini iron, long time I bought a Clover travel iron and rarely use it.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 AM

I love mine and do a lot of appliqué so I keep it handy. Also if you mark with a Frixon pen it is great to get rid of lines that are not quite where you want them to be.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 AM

I use it for embellishing with foil, glitter, angelina. I also hear it is great for paper piecing
Old 08-01-2015, 07:52 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Applique and paper piecing.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 AM

Sounds great for Bargello!! Must look at the large plate one as I'm about to start a very large bargello.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I have the original one with the small triangle plate. It gets so hot! I have to be careful to remember not to touch the metal parts. I bought the stand for it after trying the put it in a cup/jar that never worked all that great. The stand does what it is suppose to do, keep the iron handy and safe. I use it to press seams and not have to heat the big iron.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:14 PM

Onebyone, they seem to now come with the stand. Mine did & I know fellow guild members who purchased one within the past year all say theirs came with the little clover-shaped stand.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:19 PM

I bought one...and hate it. No matter what temp I set it, when I iron on fabric, it's almost like it's melting something. By that I mean, the fabric is fine, but the tip has a coating that is similar to melting plastic on it!!!! I've cleaned, etc....and it STILL does it! I tried fabric that was unwashed AND washed...no spray/with spray and gave up. I'm ready to give it to Goodwill.......