Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What Fabric For "White"?

Brand new quilter = dumb questions! :)

Hi all, I am buying fabric for my first quilt, and I need alot of "white" fabric as the background to set off isolated colored prints. What do you use for white? Muslin? I went to Joann, and the colored prints fabric to use for quilting were obvious, but no solid white was near the quilting fabric. I guessed and bought a 1/4yd of some 100% cotton to try, but it looks almost see-thru and seems flimsy. It might have been broadcloth? I will most likely be hand-piecing and hand-quilting, what do you suggest?
    Thanks so much!
    Gina

Blog Entries
    I've read on this board that Kona makes a muslin that is very good. They say that JoAnn's sells it.

The muslin isn't by the calicos. Ask someone to point you in the right direction. There are white on whites that are nice in the reg. quilting area.

I know it's against the "rules" of strict quilters, but I love using white cotton sheets, good quality, not more than 200 thread count. I would NOT use sheets if you are going to hand quilt, because they are harder to quilt, but if you intend to machine quilt- go to a discount store like Ross or Marshalls or TJMaxx and see if you can find a white flat sheet. Lots of fabric for the $ too. (I almost always use sheets for quilt backs. Shhhh! Don't tell on me.)

hi ginakra
    welcome . I wood use cotton the thread count is tighter woven.I hope this help you .
    shirleyt

JLD
    I use a white on white - as in there is a white print on white fabric. Found with the other quilting material. Just what I prefer.

No dumb question in quilting! I use the white found with the other quilting fabric...the white on white I guess. I like the different designs in them and I think with some designs it just gives it more texture!

Blog Entries
    I like bleached muslin or white on white. :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Kona cotton is really nice fabric and Jo Ann's has it, I just bought some in white last week. I think it was $5.99 a yard and I used the 40% coupon for it. Look for it in with the designer fabrics. You'll be able to spot it, because all the Kona cottons (that I've seen) are solid colors, so just look for a bunch of solid colored fabrics.

I buy the Kona Cotton White, too, from JoAnnes!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast