Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Fabric For "White"? >

What Fabric For "White"?

What Fabric For "White"?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Hi,I would try Kona Cotton, it has some weight but easy to quilt though
Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
One thing about me using white tone on tone is that is is 100% sure I'll have some part of the block made with the tone on tone fabric wrong side up. I like plain white so there is no wrong side. Buy all the white at one time you need for one quilt. It's not easy to match the same color white fabric. I like the Roc premium permanent press white muslin. I buy Kona muslin when I find it on sale. Moda sells a solid fabric line called Bella Solids. They are nice.
Been there, done that!!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 05-14-2010, 02:38 AM

I like working with a good quality solid. Whatever you do, stay away from the cheap muslin(ie: .99 per yard). Jo-Ann's has a muslin made from bamboo that has a wonderful feel to it!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks so much everyone!!! :) I'm so happy to get all the suggestions. I won't call the police on using the sheets, lol. I used to run from the knitting police when I used acrylic yarn, I'm allergic to wool!

I never really thought about using the white on white, but there were only 3 bolts there at the time. I'll look at it again. Thanks so much for the brand name of the Kona, I'll take a look at that when I go tomorrow! I'm excited to check everything out. Hopefully, I'll be bringing something home this time, thanks to you all! :) I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM

I just purchased some Kona white on white muslin at Joanns this week for $2.79 a yard. I didn't realize it was muslin, nice weight to it, not see-through, good quality. It was in a section with the other muslins, not in with the rest of the quilting cotton. If you ask, I am sure an associate can show you where it is. I think you will like what you find. I have always liked Kona fabric.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by janRN
When I hand quilt I like to use the Kona white muslin. Sometimes the white on white can be a little harder to hand sew through.
I agree. I hand quilt alot and sometimes the white on white is harder to do. A good white bleached muslin is what I use most of the time.. Hobby Lobby has a nice selection here in Oklahoma.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Joan's will have several qualities of solid fabric. Kona which as been mentioned is one of the best. There are some others that are good as well. Just select a good weave. My suggestion after seeing many many quilts is that when using white, select one just a bit off of pure white. Some companies call it Winter White. It is not off white but just a teeny bit away from pure white. It is my opinion that this blends better with other colors. Bleached muslin for me is too white and the unbleached is too dark. In quilt shows I have seen many quilts of older patterns in which the pure white was used and they lacked character because of the starkness of the white. It is a white probably toward the cream rather than beige.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:18 AM

I use tone-on-tone, too, because I like the texture it creates while setting off the colors of the other fabrics at the same time. I, too, have accidentally used the wrong side. But then I heard the trick of putting the fabric on your lap. Especially if you are wearing something dark, the "right" side shows up very clearly. I stay away from muslin because after washing, it always looks different from the other fabric.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:26 AM

I would use Kona for sure,
Old 05-15-2010, 04:51 AM

I prefer Kona Cotton.....have used it in all colors but particularly for my whites and off-whites.