Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what fabrics can you use ?

what fabrics can you use in making a quilt can you use cotton blend please let me know thanks dorothy from tenn

Youcan use anything yoou wish. Depending on what the quilt will be used for, how often washed, etc... Pretty much you can be creative and use almost anything.

Maria

I agree. I have used cotton blends, especially for baby quilts that get more than seasonal washing. I've used polyester (those old things don't break down in a landfill but they make wonderfully warm quilts) I've cut up wool from old blankets and suits. If it doesn't move I'll cut and stitch it up into something! :lol: :lol:

Hugs,
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    If I like it, I will use it!!! I just prewash if I am mixing cotton with cottonblends :wink:

I like to use 100% cotton fabrics. My favorite is Jo Morton fabric at the quilt shop. I have to pay more for it but I think it is worth the look of my finished quilt.

IN the history of quilts woman and whomever have used anything and everything. A lot depends on what you are going to do with the finished product. For ultimate wear, tear and beauty 100% cotton seems to do the trick. For decorative peices to hang on the wall or just display the sky is the limit. Consider the needs of the person who will be using the quilt. To sleep or cuddle under I like the feel and drape of good quality cotton. As a handquilter I love working with it. For a picnic or other utility item like a throw for the backseat of the car or a place for children to play on the floor use something sturdy like cordaroy or even double knit. I like to put cotton flannel on the back of lap throws or items a child will make their blankies.
    It is all a matter of personal taste and what fabric you fall in love with. Enjoy!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My mom made a double knit quilt eons ago and it looks good as new. It weighs at least a ton and is the warmest quilt ever made.

I vote for if you like and you can sew it, go for it. The quilt police won't fine you and you may start a new trend.

My mom saved every scrap of fabric from the early 30's on. My dad used them all in many quilts. Lots of variety, and they all turned out beautifully. Plus it was fun for my siblings and I to look for fabrics we recognized from clothing Mom had made. ;)

You can use whatever you want. I've seen quilts made out of whacked up old coats, jeans, men's suits, wool, corduroy, men's silk ties, etc. I would at least try to keep the weight of the fabrics the same in one top. I would also wash all the fabrics first so any shrinkage issues are done with.

My first quilt is a mix of a sheet, a twill weave solid, and a print that I'm not sure what it is. The sheet and the twill are wearing like iron but the print has faded really bad.

Your quilt, your rules.

Use whatever you like. It makes for interesting quilts.