Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got them and can't use them! If you can.

Got them and can't use them! If you can.

I bought a singer 403 and it came with 2 bobbins. So I bought a package of them(classic 66) at the local wallyworld to have some extras. Went to use them and they are just a smidge too big. I guess I will have to check ebay for old ones unless you know something I don't. If so, please share. thanks

Blog Entries
    I get my bobbins from sew-classic - the ones from the Evil Empire (WM) fall apart - make 'em into earrings or something.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I get my bobbins from sew-classic - the ones from the Evil Empire (WM) fall apart - make 'em into earrings or something.
    Now what a clever idea, you may just have started a new fad- bobbin earrings!!

Agree on Sew-Classic, her bobbins are great.

Too big how? Diameter, thickness or both?

Joe

Blog Entries
    You did get 'Class 66 Bobbins' did you not?
    If the bobbins you had were the kind with lots and lots of little holes you got class 15 or something other than Class 66 bobbins.

Or .... are the rims flat or are they curved? If they are flat you got Class 15s or something else. Class 66s have curved rims.

Joe

It's not just 66 bobbins that are a problem. My SIL got some FW bobbins at JoAnn's and they wouldn't work in her FW. She ask me to adjust the tension for her but it wasn't the tension, it was the bobbin. I had a 'real' FW bobbin with me and when I put that one in the machine, the tension was fine. You just can't use the 'remake' bobbins. They aren't to specifications.... wrong metal, or too big or too small..... they just don't work.

Does anyone know if the Sew-Classic FW bobbins work???

Blog Entries
    The FW bobbins from sew-classic seem to work just fine

The FW bobbins I got from JoAnns work fine in my FW. What could be the situation with that?

I have also found that the CHINESE made class 66 bobbins from Joannes do not work in my 201 machines. They are a shade to large to fit in the bobbin case. Never a problem with the Sew-Classic bobbins. The 66 bobbins that do not fit will be re-purposed as embellishments on a wall hanging that is in the works.
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    The FW bobbins I got from JoAnns work fine in my FW. What could be the situation with that?

A different batch. The quality control with these bobbins (coming from China) is lousy.

The FW bobbins from sew-classic seem to work just fine
    ditto on that

The local Walmart here doesn't even sell class 15 bobbins anymore. No tag for them or anything, only class 66 in plastic (ugh) or metal.

I do have a class 15 bobbin that came with one of my featherweights ?!?! I keep it around to show people why not to buy cheap bobbins. It doesn't even fit into a class 15 bobbin case. If you really shove it does ( one guy did that, then I had to show him why -that- was a bad idea....)

Other than the vintage ones I have from various machines, I've only ever bought new ones from Sew-Classic, or one 10 pack from a regular seller on Ebay (terry something... I can't recall exactly). I have no FW bobbins here that don't work, so I'd second (third?) that Jenny's are good bobbins.

One reason that the foreign made ( not just Chinese ) bobbins don't always work in our older machines is because of the dissimilarity of the measuring systems. Some times foreign makers do not use the inch measurements, they just convert it to metric and go from there. What they do a lot of the time is round up to the next largest MM and that is what throws the specs off.
    If the inch measurement converts to 11.5 mm, they round it up to 12.0 mm and then it's too big.

Tammi,

There is nothing wrong with an in-spec plastic bobbin except it's plastic. My wife has been using them interchangeably with the metal ones since she got her Singer 538 back in '78. Nary a problem.

I've used them in Singer 66s made back in the 19 teens with no troubles either. The only plastic bobbin I had that didn't work was one that got dropped on the floor and stepped on. KArunch .....

Joe

LOL! Yeah, I can see how that one wouldn't work. I just find that they seem to jump around a little more, and although I know it can't be true, in fact should be the opposite - it seems sometimes that they're louder. I seem to end up with a lot of cracked (older) ones too.

I was once told by an OSMG that if the case is plastic, use a plastic bobbin. If it's a metal bobbin case, use metal.

I was also told by another one that he only used plastic, because the metal ones could get magnetized and mess with tension and your mind as a result. I drop my bobbins enough, I don't think they can keep any magnetization they might develop. Just call me "fumble".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    LOL! Yeah, I can see how that one wouldn't work. I just find that they seem to jump around a little more, and although I know it can't be true, in fact should be the opposite - it seems sometimes that they're louder. I seem to end up with a lot of cracked (older) ones too.

I was once told by an OSMG that if the case is plastic, use a plastic bobbin. If it's a metal bobbin case, use metal.

I was also told by another one that he only used plastic, because the metal ones could get magnetized and mess with tension and your mind as a result. I drop my bobbins enough, I don't think they can keep any magnetization they might develop. Just call me "fumble".
    It's all over the map. I had one OSMG say use the plastic when you want to sew fast. LOL
    SSSSOOOOOOO what if they do get magnetized? I just know some bobbins are better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Its hit and miss with the JoAnn's FW and other bobbins for our old machines. I bought some and the bobbin got stuck in my bobbin case. I only use vintage original bobbins whenever possible now.
    Sharon

The rule of thumb I've also read is: Plastic bobbins for plastic bobbin cases and metal for metal. My wife didn't know the metal ones would or could cause more wear to the plastic bobbin case so she just used 'em.

I have some metal Class 66 bobbins that are significantly narrower between the rims than the proper size bobbins. They do cause tension problems on some of my machines and they rattle as they vibrate up and down. Some of the plastic bobbins I have are a bit narrower between the rims too. So I suspect they do the same.
    I'm in the process of weeding out any bobbins that do not match the original Singer sizes. I won't bin them, but I'll not use them either.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    The rule of thumb I've also read is: Plastic bobbins for plastic bobbin cases and metal for metal. My wife didn't know the metal ones would or could cause more wear to the plastic bobbin case so she just used 'em.

I have some metal Class 66 bobbins that are significantly narrower between the rims than the proper size bobbins. They do cause tension problems on some of my machines and they rattle as they vibrate up and down. Some of the plastic bobbins I have are a bit narrower between the rims too. So I suspect they do the same.
    I'm in the process of weeding out any bobbins that do not match the original Singer sizes. I won't bin them, but I'll not use them either.

Joe
    Aw Joe are you going to make some earrings???

It's all over the map. I had one OSMG say use the plastic when you want to sew fast. LOL
    SSSSOOOOOOO what if they do get magnetized? I just know some bobbins are better than others.
    I think OSMGs might have as many myths as the rest of us that they propagate. He'd said to me that a magnetized bobbin tended to "stick" and loosen, causing inconsistent tension. I'm not sure I believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I wonder if that's why I've heard that they wear bobbin cases out and replace them "once a year" from a few people with "modern" brother machines who sew a lot. And I mean a LOT. It seemed strange to me, but if they're using metal bobbins and a plastic case, maybe?

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen real many worn out bobbin cases - I've seen human destruction and rust...

I haven't seen real many worn out bobbin cases - I've seen human destruction and rust...
    That's what I don't get. .... what part's wearing out? Two different quilters have told me that though. She test sewed the machine a friend was buying for her daughter well,... but using it doesn't mean understanding it I guess... Perhaps that's what a technician was telling her and selling her parts?

Blog Entries
    That's what I don't get. .... what part's wearing out? Two different quilters have told me that though. She test sewed the machine a friend was buying for her daughter well,... but using it doesn't mean understanding it I guess... Perhaps that's what a technician was telling her and selling her parts?
    or a plastic wonder sewing machine???

Could be. So what would wear out? The bobbin falls through the bottom? too much play on the sides? I suppose it depends too on which hook system. Most of the cheapies use the class 15 system... but that's a metal case... so this would be horizontal, I guess? The Singer CE-100 I had on my desk looked like it might be able to wear parts,... but it was a suspect quality machine anyway (as far as the under bits) Timing it was terrible.

Blog Entries
    Could be. So what would wear out? The bobbin falls through the bottom? too much play on the sides? I suppose it depends too on which hook system. Most of the cheapies use the class 15 system... but that's a metal case... so this would be horizontal, I guess? The Singer CE-100 I had on my desk looked like it might be able to wear parts,... but it was a suspect quality machine anyway (as far as the under bits) Timing it was terrible.
    Maybe the plastic wonders wear out bobbin cases? I have class 15 - metal bobbin cases - where somebody went a little nuts with the spring or lost a screw or let it rust or soaked it in 3 in 1 oil or just plain old MISSING but not ever seen one 'worn out'. Even then it is a very small percent of the machines I have seen or worked on. Now I have seen messed up Touch and Sew bobbin cases but we won't go there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast