Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a flimsy? >

What is a flimsy?

What is a flimsy?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 AM

Just wondering if it is more of an European term?? There are many different names for the same item depending on where you live or were raised, and what you consider your native language. I guess you could call a quilt top 'flimsy' because it doesn't have the support of batting, backing or quilting.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

I think this a term used in certain geographic regions, like spider/skillet, pop/soda, bubbler/drinking fountain, lattice/sashing etc. I don't think it's new or meant to be cutesy.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
If it is a top then the back has raw seams which over time will fray. Am I correct.
Yes, if it's handled those seams will keep fraying.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

just another name for a quilt top. too many names, so i always say top.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
For the longest time I couldn't figure out that term either- did figure out it's what some have decided to call their completed tops- to me its a negative term- my quilts are Not flimsy! I go to great lengths to make sure I create well constructed quilt tops and finished quilts I would be hurt/embarrassed/upset if someone called one of my quilts or tops ( flimsy) . so I really don't get it.
I use quality fabric and also create well constructed quilt tops as well as finished quilts. My unfinished quilt tops are known as flimsies. I am never hurt or embarrassed by someone referring to my unfinished tops as flimsies. So I find it hard to understand where all this negativity over a one word comes from. Maybe some people are just way to sensitive.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Just wondering if it is more of an European term?? There are many different names for the same item depending on where you live or were raised, and what you consider your native language. I guess you could call a quilt top 'flimsy' because it doesn't have the support of batting, backing or quilting.
Ginger, you have it exactly right. It is a top not yet supported with the batting, backing or quilting. An appropriate term in some circles. I actually like this term as it refers to a finished top and I like finished tops. UFO refers to a quilt in some state of assembly, it could be just in the planing stages, half way done or just the fabric cut, a much less specific term.
I would never be insulted if some one called my work a flimsy because I know what the term means and it has nothing to do with the quality of the work or fabric. There is my two cents on the subject except for the fact that I have about thirty of those "f"s in my closet waiting to become quilts.
peace
Old 08-11-2015, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
From UK and never heard the term until I saw it on here. We call a top a top, with wadding/batting and backing.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:50 AM

I've never heard that used before. The word "flimsy" caught my attention cause to me it ht seemed like it was about a "flimsy negligee"
Old 08-12-2015, 04:09 AM

It is not meant to be a derogatory word, it simply means a pieced top that is done but not sandwiched and quilted.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sensitive, I just hate that name. Personal preference. I think it's dumb. The top is the top... What then would you call a finished quilt? A "sturdy"? These words are adjectives, not nouns (names). That's where the cutesy part comes in, IMNSHO; using adjectives for names.

Dottymo, yes the back could ravel if the top was never finished, but I think these are meant to become whole quilts, eventually.