Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is glue basting? >

What is glue basting?

What is glue basting?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 AM

Default What is glue basting?

I just read the thread about glue basting and realize I have never done that. Is it the same as using the spray adhesive? Are you supposed to heat set that?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Most people seem to say "glue basting" to mean basting with Elmer's washable school glue. "Spray basting" tends to refer to any of the brands of sprays available such as June Tailor or 505. I don't know of any brand of spray baste that needs to be heat set.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM

It's just the most wonderful, easy, awesome way to baste your quilts (in my humble opinion, of course, LOL!). I won't do it any other way anymore. Elmer's School Glue and a quick press of an iron and you're golden!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

i've been too timid to try this... do you have to 'smooth' it out after gluing [and after putting the two layers together]?
does it work well with poly batting?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM

I didn't realize you could use Elmer's school glue. Also wondering about the "poly batting?" What is the advantage over using the spray cans like June Taylor?
"
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM

I use glue to baste my quilts and use poly batting on most of them. Since it is poly, I do not iron the glue to set it and let it air dry (about an hour is long enough to be able to move the quilt or flip to do the other side). The biggest advantage I can see is that Elmer's Washable School Glue is much much cheaper.....it washes out 100% in warm water and detergent....no nasty fumes .....no overspray.....sewing through the dried glue is simple, no gummy needles. I will never use anything else to baste my quilts (at least until the next greatest thing is discovered...LOL).
Old 10-30-2013, 11:57 AM

I have glue basted once to know that I like it. But I didn't realize you "iron" it. Is that to get it to dry or does that take out some of the lumps? I love the fact that I have no pins to remove as I sew. Also, since I am on a Singer with a tiny throat even with all that wrestling with the quilt, I have no folds.

Last edited by toverly; 10-30-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM

I also am a convert to glue basting. Why? No more pinning and sticking or straining my fingers. Also, it holds the sandwich in place better during quilting. Some people use "dots" of the glue, others (me included) make "waves" or "/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\" across the batting. I don't iron, I let it sit overnight.

Many people try in out on a small project first. Just be sure to use WASHABLE glue. It doesn't have to be Elmer's, I use washable school glue from the dollar store (two for a buck).

Tate
Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM

I LOVE Elmer's School Glue basting!!! For basting the sandwich, I just let it air dry. I lay down the batting (I like Warm & White), smooth it out and then drizzle about a third with the Elmer's School Glue. Then I center my top over the batting, patting down the glued section. After everything is smooth and patted, I fold back the top to where the glue ended, then glue another third. After smoothing and patting down the top again, I fold it back to expose the unglued third and repeat the process. After a few hours, I go back, flip the top/batting over, and glue the backing in the same way. I let the whole thing dry overnight, then either go ahead and quilt it or set it aside until I'm ready to sew.

When I use the Elmer's for the binding, I do use the iron for faster drying.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM

I glue baste pieces where corners meet so they don't shift when I sew them -- for me pins shift a lot more. I spray baste when I layer my quilt so I don't have to pin it closely or hand baste it. I use Elmers for my piecing (with a small tip ala Bonnie Hunter), but I have always used 505 to spray baste. Someone on the board mentioned diluting Elmers and putting it in a spray bottle -- I have not tried it. I would love using Elmers to baste the quilt layers, but my hands hurt too much to much to be squeezing a bottle like that.