Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a good circle template to purchase?  I'd like to make a quilt with circles. >

What is a good circle template to purchase? I'd like to make a quilt with circles.

What is a good circle template to purchase? I'd like to make a quilt with circles.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:23 AM

I love, love, love my "Cut-a-Round" rulers. They cut perfect circles (you fold the fabric into quarters, but it means you never have to contort yourself trying to cut all the way around a circular object). PLUS, it lets you cut a frame for the circle perfectly sized - I don't applique (don't like the look of it) so this works perfectly for me.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Same here. I have a couple compasses. Mine make from 1"-12" circles
Originally Posted by RST View Post
I use a compass or some circular object to draw whatever size I want. My technique for applique circles is to use water soluable interfacing, draw the circle on that. Stitch to fabric, right sides facing, allowing for a good 1/4 inch outside of stitch line for cutting. Cut out, then slit the interfacing enough to turn the fabric right side out, smooth the curves with a knitting needle or your instrument of choice. You're left with beautifully smooth circles that are easy to applique by hand or machine. Once they finished project is washed the first time, the interfacing dissolves completely, leaving you with no extra bulk or stiffness under the circle.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 AM

I like Missouri Quilt Co. Circle Magic template. It is the deal of the day today! It also comes with a book.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 PM

The MSQ circle ruler is a good deal but it is only 1 size, if you are wanting circles just use something out of your kitchen. I use the interfacing technique - draw circles on interfacing, rough cut a little larger then stitch on the drawn line, cut a slit in the interfacing and turn. I actually machine stitch these onto the quilt using matching or invisible thread and the blind hem stitch

I do have the templates from the Eliza's back porch and love them but they are quarter circles and I don't think I would use them for whole circles.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:12 PM

There is a sale today on circle templet and book at MSC.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 PM

You will see circles on my avitar. I used different sizes of Tupperware lids as a template. You kitchen is full of circles.....plates, saucers. pan lids..etc.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:40 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]469003[/ATTACH]

I do the same thing with any round, oval, petal shape, hex ...etc Works great....But MORE IMPORTANTLY...feline fanatic...i LOVE this quilt !!!!!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
Go into your kitchen and choose a round plate that is the size you want. Turn it over. Voila! Circle template. Never tried this but bet you could even use a rotary cutter with it (only not with the best china of course). Or use it to draw around and cut out with scissors.
My advice too. Why spend money you could use for fabric on expensive plastic templates when you have a cupboard full of sturdy templates called "dishes".
Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 AM

http://annamariahorner.blogspot.se/2...r-circles.html

There's this tutorial too.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 AM

Cups, saucers, plates, pizza pans, round trays, etc. I also have a ruler with a hole in each end and many holes along the center. You just pin it down on one end and use one of the other holes with a pencil in it to rotate and make the desired size of circle.