Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a good circle template to purchase?  I'd like to make a quilt with circles. >

What is a good circle template to purchase? I'd like to make a quilt with circles.

What is a good circle template to purchase? I'd like to make a quilt with circles.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
Is there a circle template you would recommend and/or a method of making them? Are most or all quilts that have whole circles made doing appliqué? Not sure I want to do that.
I bought the Olfa Rotary Circle Cutter. It has an adjustable gizmo so you can cut up to 8 3/4 circles. I've made quite a few mock cathedral window quilts (MANY circles.) the olfa cut perfect circles every time. Works like a compass. You can get it cheap with a joann coupon or wait for a sale. If I need bigger circles I make a template out of foam board the size I need. Have fun
Old 03-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Lots of good ideas here. Will have to remember them when I'm ready to do circles.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
that's a good idea. I have corelle dishes and use one of the small ones to round my corners. I just use my rotary cutter with it as if it was a ruler.
I do this all the time, but you need to be careful what you use to draw around the plate. I have Corelle, also, and the edge absorbed the marker color. A scratched up CD will work if that's the right size. froggyintexas
Old 03-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
I do this all the time, but you need to be careful what you use to draw around the plate. I have Corelle, also, and the edge absorbed the marker color. A scratched up CD will work if that's the right size. froggyintexas
I don't draw around the plate. I just cut around it.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Feline, your quilt is gorgeous. I'm just not sure about doing it applique and making the outer stitching nice and smooth. I like the look of the Cut a Round ruler another person posted about. That looked like a good system. I'm just wondering how round and smooth the circle ends up being. I have a very picky eye for these type of details.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Wow this is a great way to do it. I made a circle using the Eleanor Burns way. I must say using the fusible interfacing in my circles made my circles kind of stiff. not sure I'd do another one this way. Like your method much better!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 PM

For a template I just used a tupperware container I liked the size of. I drew this circle onto a piece of mylar I bought from our local quilt shop.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:24 AM

Just rec'd Nancy's Notions catalog and there are two circles cutters in it, reasonable prices too.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by scrapinmema View Post
I use the Easy Circle Cut by Sharon Hultgren You can make circles from 2" to 10"
I hate to sound stupid, but I have that template and I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it with a rotary cutter! I have the 28mm rotary cutter and it just doesn't go down far enough to cut the fabric. What am I doing wrong? I have a Fiskars rotary cutter. Thanks so much for any help from anyone!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:29 PM

I have both sets of Perfect Circles and like them, but it really depends what size you have in mind.