Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What happened to my machine? Won't stitch.

What happened to my machine? Won't stitch.

I've been working on quilting one of my UFOs today, and decided it was time to change the needle since the bobbin was empty, and there has been this funky noise for a little while. I've done a couple projects already, and since I read here that it's best to change it after every project...well...I took it out.
    Replaced it.
    Pulled up the bobbin thread.
    Shoved threads all to the back.
    Put my project back in.
    Started going along, and it won't stitch. It's just not hooking the threads and going along.
    What'd I frig up?
    Thanks.

Did you take out the top thread and rethread it? Maybe it's missing a hook or something?

Blog Entries
    My guess is that the new needle is not inserted properly.

I wonder if the owner's manual has a troubleshooting section. I have a Brother SQ9000, and there is a section in the back that goes into pretty good detail about all kinds of stuff.
    Anne L. Fulton

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake.

If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it. - Jonathan Winters

Blog Entries
    Did the thread jump out of the take up lever? If that happened, Try rethreading it and when you put the thread in the take up lever put it in left to right - not the way the diagram shows. Several of us in this group had the same problem.

Linda.

Blog Entries
    After you try rethreading the entire machine, make sure the needle is in the right way. There's a flat side. Check your owner's manual to see which way it goes. Also, if the needle is not inserted all the way up into the shaft, it won't stitch.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Fixed. I guess the needle was just a HAIR crooked in the shaft and wasn't facing completely straight. Thanks for the help; now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Change the needle again. Some needles are defective and it's a cheap fix. Make sure they are meant for your machine and you have the proper size for your project.

Blog Entries
    Check to make sure the needle is all the way in correctly. It's easy to not get it inserted correctly. Re-thread your machine and make sure the presser foot is up. Take out the bobbin and make sure it's going in correctly and threaded right or just use a different bobbin. This happened to me a few weeks ago, switched the bobbin and all was right.
    Judy

Glad you were able to fix the problem. On my Janome, even if I can't see anything wrong, sometimes it just doesn't want to sew after replacing the bobbin. I usually end up re-threading everything, then she sews like a dream. Go figure!
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!