Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What I saw today! >
  • What I saw today!

• What I saw today!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM

At the thrift shop on Post, I won't mention which one, a QOV quilt. I was so sad to see it, it was still new, having never been washed with strings still needing removed from the quilting. It had a label with the piecer and quilter from Wisconsin. We never can know who will value a quilt. By the way the quilt was wonderfully pieced and quilted.
    Old 12-17-2010, 05:49 PM

I have a friend who made a baby quilt for a mutual friend's daughter who was expecting her 2nd baby. LAter I heard that the daughter said she didn't want it, didn't go with their 'decor' It was a beautiful wall hanging, very well made and in soft colors, with a paper pieced hummingbird, flower, etc.

It that had been my daughter I swear she would have gotten a piece of my mind! How rude and selfish!!

Originally Posted by lvaughan
    At the thrift shop on Post, I won't mention which one, a QOV quilt. I was so sad to see it, it was still new, having never been washed with strings still needing removed from the quilting. It had a label with the piecer and quilter from Wisconsin. We never can know who will value a quilt. By the way the quilt was wonderfully pieced and quilted.
    Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 PM

That is very sad. I don't think some people truly understand what goes into a quilt. I keep them all. They can be passed down to my kids' kids(which better be a long time from now!!!)
    Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Actually, I have 3 boys, all grown up now and I didn't think they were much interested in my quilts until last year when my youngest got married and we helped them with their honeymoon by giving them a flight to Belize (my hubby had saved up enough travel points!!) and while they loved their trip, they did mention a few months later that they were surprised that they didn't get a quilt from me! They evidently were really hoping for one.

(psst: Christmas is just around the corner, don't tell them that they are getting one from me! Shhhh.) My heart is happy that they want it!

Originally Posted by hperttula123
    That is very sad. I don't think some people truly understand what goes into a quilt. I keep them all. They can be passed down to my kids' kids(which better be a long time from now!!!)
    Old 12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
    Banned

I truely hope that you can send that quilt back thru the Q.o.V. folks, there are some that still value what it means the love and gratitude that went into it.
    Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 PM

I was shocked to find my daughter in-laws beautiful table cloth her grandmother had imbroidered as a tent in the garage made by her children in play. She had it in a box all folded up and they found it and took it out to use.

My son's response was "will at least it's getting some use'.

I must say it really upset me but it is no use to say anything.

People don't think of the hours people use making these beautiful things that are given as gifts from the heart.
    Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM

what is a QOV quilt?
    Old 12-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Quilt of Valor
    Old 12-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Even looking new, I bet that quilt has some story behind it. Sometimes is lack of appreciation but at other times it just hurts too much to hold on to things. When I see a quilt like that I just get it and appreciate it.
    Old 12-17-2010, 06:45 PM

I am wondering how it would end up there? The people running the TS should have pulled it out and taken care of it. Whoever donated it should get a good stiff slap. Someone could have taken it to the hospital . All posts have a dispensary , some kind of Med. facility. Shameful