Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of thread do you like for FMQ?

What kind of thread have you been successful with for FMQ? What is less likely to "birdnest" or break?

Banned
    I use isacord polyester - with a 14 needle rarely frays or breaks.

Blog Entries
    i use all cotton on large or medium spools [some from connecting threads] and have also used regular poly/cotton that i sew with. i have not found that the type of thread causes bird nests. it is usually how that thread comes off the spool. if it comes off unevenly, i put a thread net over it

Is this the Isacord poly they call embroidery thread? Are there more than one kind of Isacord?

Aurifil.

I've tried many and I finally took Leah Day's advice and tried Isacord. It's fabulous. It's not the cheapest, nor is it the most expensive. I can live with excellent results and medium price value.

Quote Originally Posted by Phylliss
    Is this the Isacord poly they call embroidery thread? Are there more than one kind of Isacord?
    I wondered the same thing. I looked around a bit for other "types" of Isacord and only found the poly embroidery and that's what I've been using. It works fabulously.

Bottom Line, King Tut, serger thread, Coats Star quilting thread, ThreadArt embroidery thread, Connecting Threads Essentials cotton, Soft Touch cotton, 30wt generic cotton thread, Isacord, Aurifil 50 wt & 60 wt, generic poly bobbin thread....

Use the threads that give you the effect that you want on each side of the quilt. This might be the same thread top and bottom, or you might mix two different threads.

Some people are against using poly thread in a quilt, but I've gotten to where I use what gives me the look I want without any regard to the fiber content. The one exception is that I won't use fiber that doesn't stand up to laundering or heat, so rayon and nylon are out, for me.

It's mostly what you prefer and mostly subjective.

The way I look at it, if the last parts of my quilts left standing are the seams and quilting and the fabric is disintegrated in fifty or a hundred years, so be it. I don't believe that the difference between poly threads and cotton threads is actually great enough to cause that, but people more knowledgeable than I might know better. :)

Blog Entries
    I only use 100% cotton. I like Connecting Threads 'Cotton Essentials' because it's such a great value and because their colors are so rich and beautiful. I also like Coats and Clarks 'Star' quilting thread in a pinch because I can find it almost everywhere and it stitches up quite nicely too.

Blog Entries
    I use whatever my machine likes! Mostly I use Aurifil or Wonderfil. I also use YLI, Gutterman and Coats & Clark. There are others I'd like to try, I just haven't yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast