Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of thread? >

What kind of thread?

What kind of thread?

Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM

Default What kind of thread?

What kind of thread do you like best for free motion quilting? I'm just recently trying to learn and on Leah Day's video she said that she always uses Isacord polyester embroidery thread 40wt. So I ordered me a large cone online and that's what I have been using to learn. The only thing is that the bobbin thread is being pulled up, so I loosened the top tension until it was with no tension at all and the bobbin thread is still coming up. I know I need to adjust the bobbin tension but I don't want to move it. I know you can mark on the bobbin so you can put it back, but I have another bobbin case for that and I can't seem to find it. Anyways, I thought I could try other threads that wouldn't need as much adjusting, at least until I find my other bobbin. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 08-31-2015, 04:32 PM

Aurifil 50/2 if I don't want quilting as noticeable. Aurifil 40/2 for more noticeable lines.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

You can use many different kinds of thread to practice free motion quilting. When I started out, I used the same Mettler cotton thread I used for piecing. Why not just thread your machine with whatever you have used successfully in the past for piecing?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM

Clean out your machine . . Get all the fuzzy out . . Snip your top thread and pull it through your needle. Rethead your machine, flossing thread inbetween the tension disks,(put your tensions back to normal settings) make sure your bobbin is wound correctly and loaded correctly! Try on a scrap of fabric, adjust tension if necessary.
Good luck.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Clean out your machine . . Get all the fuzzy out . . Snip your top thread and pull it through your needle. Rethead your machine, flossing thread inbetween the tension disks,(put your tensions back to normal settings) make sure your bobbin is wound correctly and loaded correctly! Try on a scrap of fabric, adjust tension if necessary.
Good luck.
DITTO! I used 40 wt with all my quilting. There is also another issue that can cause this. The DISCs that the thread goes thru (the round discs) can get stuck. When you turn the knob, do the discs move? If not then manually move them with your finger tips......unstick them. Now try sewing again and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 PM

when I first started to quilt I used 100wt. thread
Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 AM

I love superior king tut, isacord, any of superiors poly brands. I am surprised your having so many problems with isacord my machine loves it for embroidery and FMQ
Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

When I bought my Bernina 1530 Inspiration, I was told by the dealer to use Mettler Silk finished thread. So that is what I still use and get excellent results. It is a 50 weight thread so a little thinner. A lot of time your bottom thread will pop up because you are off on your timing of moving the fabric. That is why I was taught to use matching thread in the bobbin.