Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What light do you use? >

What light do you use?

What light do you use?

Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 AM

I installed a circa 1970's hanging lamp just above my head from hooks, with just enough clearance to avoid bumping my head, then a bought 100 watt equivalent fluorescent bulb to put in it. It is hung far enough forward of my position to avoid being a shadow problem. Works great, but I may have to invest in an Ott Lite soon. Getting old is not for wimps.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
where in the world do you find day light bulbs? I hate bulb shopping. it's so confusing now with all the curly bulbs out there that i simply hate. the wattage is not what it used to be either. my fridge has LED lights and looks like an airport runway when i open the door. I've been wondering about LED lights....

When buying bulbs, and I do like the OttLite BULBS (won't spend the money on the lamps - they're too expensive when i can put the bulb in any existing light fixture/lamp) I pay attention to the LUMENS and the KELVINS (k)

The lumens refer to how bright the light will be. I have found that 100watt equivalent bulbs will have different lumens depending on the manufacturer...Generally speaking, 60w equivalent bulb just won't do it for me - not enough light. I have to have 75 or 100w equivalent bulbs(depending on the lumens)

The Kelvins refer to the type of light - soft white/warm white/bright white/daylight. Soft whites tend to be more yellow in color. Bright White bulbs are about 3000K and Daylight buldbs are 5000K

My favorite bulb is actually a Bright White CFL bulb and i can get that at Home Depot. I found them when I was looking for light bulbs in my kitchen.

I also don't have ceiling fixtures in my rooms. I have never liked overhead lighting because it causes shadows on whatever i'm working on. I'm much happier w/ floor lamps, table lamps, or lights directed right on to my work.

Once you learn what kind of light - soft/warm/bright/day/light bulbs, then start comparing lumens to make your choice. One more thing - a clear bulb will appear brighter than a frosted bulb.

And now you have your Light Bulb Shopping 101 free of charge!! LOL!!
Old 09-13-2014, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the tips, Becca!
Old 09-13-2014, 03:11 PM

The "daylight" lamps are being sold in a lot of places now, even WM has them, and the bulbs too. Not as expensive as an OTT, but works well
Old 09-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

i have a floor ott liet that is over my quilting table then a small ott lie on my table in living room where i do hand work
Old 09-13-2014, 03:52 PM

For hand work, next to my easy chair, I have a floor magnifying light that is either battery power or electricity. I love it, perfect for those black bindings an black thread. I bought it on Amazon, the brand is Mighty Bright. It has 12 led's that are focused on my work. I love it. About $65.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I have 6 large lights on my ceiling that makes it like daylight in my room.