Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What light do you use? >

What light do you use?

What light do you use?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Default What light do you use?

Seems like I can never get enough light in my home once the sun goes down. Even with two 6-bulb ceiling fixtures, 2 table lamps & a floor lamp, I have a hard time seeing well enough to do my handwork (applique, hand quilting ... or even just cutting tiny pieces with intricate designs). I'm considering investing in an OttLite.

Wondering what others use to light their work spaces (not sewing machine lights, but lighting anywhere else you work on something quilt-related). Table lamps, desk lamps, floor lamps, hand held ... I even met one lady that straps on her caving headlamp to do hand applique. I'm literally open to anything. So tired of pulling out stitches in the morning because I couldn't see what I was doing. O.o
Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 PM

I have a great spot lite with the articulated metal snake type neck - it's a table/desk lamp - but the neck can be moved and angled toward my work - or at my sewing machine. I love it. Just FYI...there is a measure that tells how much more light you need at each age to see the same as you did a decade before --- i think i've about reached the stage where 60 watts has become 200 watts !!! OH..i bought the lamp at Walmart.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM

I sew in a spare bedroom and my husband replaced the ceiling fixture with a large, ceiling mounted fixture that uses color-corrected florescent bulbs (they don't hum).

At the machine, I use an adjustable halogen task light.

Bright as an airport runway, but they work!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

​My Bernina has really good lighting. I have a good ceiling light over my area but also have an adjustable light on a stand if I need more.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 PM

I use the daylight bulbs in the ceiling fixture in my sewing room and use an Ott light in the living room when doing hand work. I like a really bright room when I'm sewing. My room is as bright as an operating room but it works for me!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 PM

Today, I got a new Ott light to put by the recliner that I sit in for hand sewing. I'm a real Ott light fan. I have 4 Ott lights in my sewing room in addition to a large overhead light and a floor lamp. The natural light in my sewing room is great in daylight; but I like lots of light for sewing. I seldom use my sewing room at night. That's when I do my hand sewing in the den. I tried using a table lamp; but found I was bringing in an Ott light from the sewing room. With my new Ott light, I am a happy camper.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:52 PM

I have the 3-way floor model ott light. I always use it on the highest setting. I drag it all over the house with me, wherever I'm working. I recently bought my husband one (he builds free flight balsa planes) and he needed a clip one instead of what I got him. I'm thinking of snitching that one to bring into my sewing room too, instead of returning it. I did get him the clip one, and he had thanked me over and over again-- he's very frugal and never would have bought it for himself. He says it makes a huge difference for him, and I know mine does for me, too.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:53 PM

Oh, I should say, shop the prices if you decide to go with the Ott light. I bought mine both at JoAnn's for 40% off, and then I was able to use a 15% off coupon on top of the sale price.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

I have a halogen floor lamp in the corner of my sewing room, along with overhead lighting. And an Ott light beside my machine, as well as one on my cutting table.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 PM

I have two Ott lites....a table lamp and a floor lamp. I, too, drag the floor lamp to wherever I will be hand sewing. The table lamp is next to my machine. I use it mainly for ripping.