Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What "makes" a retreat? >

What "makes" a retreat?

What "makes" a retreat?

Old 09-08-2015, 05:51 PM

I'm sorry I don't know the distances in your state but I see there are quite a few quilt retreats available in Wisconsin https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...quilt+retreats
I attend two quilt retreats a year; one is held in a church camp with dorm type bedrooms but each gets it's own full bath. This is organized by mostly ladies who belong to the local guild, although it is not associated with the guild. The guild itself hosts a different retreat, which is also nice but I had to choose only two once I retired. The bad side to this one is the sewing area is upstairs while the sleeping rooms are downstairs, not a problem for me as I love the exercise and there is an outside dumb waiter elevator thingy to deliver your machines and chairs etc. to the upper floor. It usually sells out at 18 people and we each get our own tables. There's usually a project or two you can participate in and/or do your own thing. Everyone goes home with a nice door prize, I have won 2 books in the past. We also play bingo with FQs and at the end of the weekend there is at least 2 happy people winning them. The cost is reasonable at $200 Cdn and the food is acceptable, made on site by the church volunteers and delivered to a small dining area where the retreat organizers have usually placed little goodies beside our dishes; one year they were quilted luggage tags; one year they were a bag of felted wool pieces.
The other one I attend is pricey at almost $500 Cdn for the same amount of time (arrive around 2 on Friday and leave by 4 on Sunday) and this is at Harrison Hot Springs Resort which I imagine is the one that Orlinth was referring to. That price gives you a hotel room with 2 queen size beds; access to outdoor mineral pools; a coffee and danish for breakfast; you're on your own for lunch; and a wonderful buffet in the dining room in the evening. This one is run by a quilt shop and she brings a mobile shop with her; last year she also brought a few machines for people to try out. There is always 1 door prize for each retreater and usually the quilt fairy comes at night and we get a spool of thread or FQ at our machines in the morning. Last year they brought a game called strip poker where you bring as many 2 ½" strips etc. to play. This is an expensive weekend but so wonderful to relax in those hot pools after a day of sewing. AND of course the friendship and laughter goes a long way. There is always a few demos for projects that they sell the kits for, I watch the demos but don't usually make the projects as I always have enough projects on the go.
I admire the ladies who organize these as it is a huge amount of work and very time consuming.... good luck on your new venture if you decide to go for it.

Yikes.... I wrote a book...sorry about that!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:19 PM

Excellent...I love books! lol There are several retreat centers in the state but only two within 50 miles and one of those is a business focused site with quilters as an after thought ( I was quite offended for some reason) and the other is run by a quild and not well or advertised. None have the charm of this large Queen Ann Victorian, in my completely biased opiniion.http://www.remax.com/realestatehomes...-carousel-prev. I tried to copy the link...hope it worked.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:33 PM

Interesting that this lady also was inspired to have a retreat center after reading the Elm Creek books. Our little group read and enjoyed them as well.
http://www.homesteadcabinretreat.com/
Old 09-08-2015, 06:37 PM

tjk829, that is a gorgeous property. I have never had a rental property or business so don't know all the tax ramifications etc. would you hire someone to promote it for you, and as others have said...for quilters the food is a great draw. The guild uses a place locally called Edenvale which I will try to get a link for... their foods are mostly organic and original recipes, just as another idea for you.
http://www.edenvaleretreat.ca/
Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 AM

Tjk829. That property looks amazing. I have only been on one quilt retreat and it was fantastic. It was on old manse which had been modernised. No programme, just turn up and sew. Maximum 6 people great food wonderful setting, in the middle of nowhere. For me it was a long way 6 hour drive but well worth it. Not sure how to set up a link but if you google West Manse, Cullen, Scotland you will get the website. I am going to post about my retreat with lots of pictures. Good luck. I'd love to go to yours but I think it will probably be a bit too far.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 AM

I know that the quilt store in Hannibal MO has retreats at a retreat place. You might want to call the quilt store and talk to the owner about what works. I think of that line in the movie "If you build it, they will come".
Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 AM

I went to a retreat in an old barn converted into a beautiful space. The only thing I didn't like were the stairs to get from the bedroom/kitchen/living room area to the sewing/store area. It seems the population that can afford these retreats (both money and time) are older and have health issues. I loved the retreat, the staff, the food, etc. but would not go back because of the steep stairs to get to the sewing area. There is a bedroom/bath on that floor, but then you still have the stairs to get to the dining area.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:48 AM

My take on what a quilting retreat is - a quiet place with the focus being on quilting, crafting, etc. and not on whether there are a lot of other activities outside the building. Of course, having food provided is also a necessity for me. That is why I would go on a quilting retreat - to quilt with other quilters and not have to go out for eating, entertainment, etc. and not having to think about "what's to eat" and that is what I would expect to be paying for. Good luck on your venture whatever way it goes.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:19 AM

What a beautiful property! Good luck on your venture.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Clicked on your attachment and kept coming up with invalid.
Originally Posted by tjk829 View Post
I have attached a photo. The house has been on the market for a long time and if someone beats me to it, I guess it wasn't meant to be. The upper floor currently has 2 apartments so there is room for growth and there are two outbuildings as well.[ATTACH=CONFIG]530192[/ATTACH]