Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is OBW/can someone give link? >

What is OBW/can someone give link?

What is OBW/can someone give link?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 AM

I know the "terms" have been posted, but can someone lead me to a tut or link that would explain the difference between the one where you "layer" the fabrics in a certain sport and the ones that seem to be cut individual... i've check Youtube and come up with nothing... do not know the term to look for OBW finds nothing... thanks in advance... bj
Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Check here under tutorials, Cutebuns did a great one a few months ago.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 AM

thank you.... i'm off to check it out... :)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Here is a quote from k3n describing these different techniques :D:D:D

One Block Wonders, Kaleidoscope Quilts and Stack and Whack
There’s been a lot of discussion lately on the QB about ‘OBW’, stack n whack, what are they? How do they differ from each other? I thought it would be handy to offer this information and keep it here in one place to refer ppl when they have questions so here goes. I would group the whole genre under the term ‘Kaleidoscope Quilts’. These are defined as being constructed of several pieces of fabric, each cut from the same place in the fabric, giving a symmetrical, radiating effect from the centre of the block. They can in theory have any number of sections and be any geometric shape - squares, hexagons, octagons, fans, circles etc. Stack n whack – this term is the registered trademark of Bethany Reynolds whose book Stacknwhackipedia describes several ways of making these quilts, all of which have sashing between the blocks so that each block stands alone as an individual design. Her method of preparing and layering the fabric is virtually identical to the one described in the following OBW books. This involves layering the number of pattern repeats required and cutting the shapes from this stack – there is NO fussy cutting. The patterns fall where they will and there is very little waste. OBW or One Block Wonder (NB this term is NOT registered as it has been in use for years to describe quilts made from only one block – however, it has come to be used almost exclusively to refer to this style of kaleidoscope quilts) The distinctive element in this type of quilt is that there is no sashing between the blocks - each block interacts with its neighbour to create a secondary pattern across the main body of the quilt. This process is described in the books by Maxine Rosenthal and Joy Pelzman. ‘One Block Wonders’, the first book has detailed information on fabric choices and yardage requirements, the layering and cutting of the fabrics, and the method of construction for both hexagon and octagon blocks. The second book ‘One Block Wonders Encore’ focuses on the hexagon, has all the basic instructions, has further suggestions and ideas for using two colourways of the same fabric, many different border and layout ideas and introduces the hollow cubes seen in many of these quilts. The third book ‘One Block Wonders Cubed’ also includes the basic block instructions, expands on designing with cubes, provides guidelines for creating interlocking cubes and setting in and appliqueing interlocking triangles and has many more border and layout ideas. Kaleidoscopes can also be created by fussy cutting the same design element from within a fabric using a clear plastic template. Check out Rhonda’s Dresden technique here on the board. Although this method is criticised by some as being too wasteful of fabric, it does produce extraordinarily beautiful designs as the place in the pattern can be carefully selected to give the best effect. Click on the link here for details of her E-Book http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/983-owz.jsp There are also the kaleidoscope quilts of Paula Nadelstern – her technique is very technically involved. Each piece is fussy cut using a custom made template, each kaleidoscope is a work of art in itself and her finished pieces are extraordinarily beautiful. Check out her website http://www.paulanadelstern.com/ Ricky Tims also has a book out called Kool Kaleidoscope Quilts but I haven’t seen it yet so can’t comment but watch this space. The Topic List here on the board for these quilts has become so huge that I’ve decided to do some housekeeping – from now on it will include only pictures of finished tops or quilts to inspire us all and NOT as previously all the discussion threads as I think there are now so many that it is no longer useful or easy to find information from them.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....er&u=&s=5&s=10 Lots of information here:)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 AM

Here is a link where you can look inside the book,"One-Block Wonders" by Maxine Rosenthal. I picked up a copy of the book at my local library using their inter-library exchange, just to see if I liked the book enough to buy it. I LOVE the book and will definitely be buying it!!

http://www.ctpub.com/client/client_p...-1-57120-322-9

Amazon also has the book but you can't look 'inside' the book on that site.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Banned

To Amma.

Beautifully said. Excellent reference to answering questions about the technique.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

OBW is Wonderful!
and
4PP is Positvely Perfect!

4PP = 4Patch Posey
... the same techniques, four layers, cut in squares
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks amma! And I'd add that you definintely need one of the books - all the tutes and links etc don't go far enough and you need the advice in the books, especially at the design stage.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks amma! And I'd add that you definintely need one of the books - all the tutes and links etc don't go far enough and you need the advice in the books, especially at the design stage.
Better still ... take a course! For the first, it's nice to have someone help guide you thru it ... and check you are doing it right!