Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
At what point does one....... >

At what point does one.......

At what point does one.......

Old 08-15-2015, 04:13 AM

Anything you try is "difficult" or "advanced" until you try it. Even sewing straight blocks together is daunting at first. Getting yourself to believe that you can do something is most of the battle, I think. If you find a pattern you want to sew, just do it. Use scraps if you think you may have difficulties. You will either create a magnificent block, or you will have some of the fanciest dust rags anyone could hope to have. If you find that you cannot do a block, practice for a while and come back to it. I'll bet you will amaze yourself with what you can actually do.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:35 AM

I agree with the others. I don't pay a lot of attention to classification. I have done things that once finished I look at a wonder how did I it, which can be a confidence builder. Also, if you really love your project, it makes he process easier or we are really able to do more.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 AM

I do not agree that you could not make anything. Some patterns are hard but if you have the desire to make them and have the patience to make them then you can.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:44 AM

I consider my self an Intermediate because I basically choose those patterns and have managed to make them. I saw a pattern that was Advanced and I really loved it. I kept looking at it and kept reading the directions and decided to go for it. I took my time and followed the instructions carefully. I did it! I love it and I will do it again without fear if I see one that speaks to me. The secret to me is not to get in a hurry.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:06 AM

There is only one way to tell if the quilt pattern meets your needs and expectations. Try one block using scraps and see how it goes. Many quilts look so complicated but once broken down into sections, are in reality, not so bad!! I never tackle a project wondering if I am good enough, I go in, does it meet my expectations!! And always remember, not all quilt patterns are correct, so if it doesn't go smoothly, check for corrections.

In quilting, as FDR said, " So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself...........

Last edited by AZ Jane; 08-15-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 AM

I have taken a couple of Craftsy Classes that move you up in ability with each block. That has been a HUGE help in getting me to try more difficult things with great success. I mostly do easy charity quilts but really love being successful at the more difficult projects.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:18 AM

I agree with everyone. I've seen blocks designated as beginner that were way past what I would consider beginner level. I've looked back at things I've done and been astonished that I tried it, let alone had the project come out well! Once you've started a project, you will more than likely figure out the rough spots by yourself or with help from others. That's how we learn and advance. Go get 'em!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 AM

If Jenny Beyer can work alone, in India, with no teachers available, then I say you can "go for it," also. Read everything you can get your hands on and study other quilts. You'll do very well as you get more quilts under your belt.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:00 AM

I consider labels to be a hint as to what might be expected but it also can be a hurdle that can limit further exploration... if you take an opinion of others and let it become your truth. Being a guy and never having quilted before, I blundered into making a king quilt, as my first project, with tons of half square triangles, fabrics sewn on the bias, blending dozens of different fabrics together to create a cohesive color pallet, blocks set on point and other techniques I fail to recall or have repressed. Was it perfect...hardly and likely "ignorance was bliss" but positive thinking, perseverance and a knowledgeable cheerleader, when you need one, is likely all anyone requires to tackle even an advance pattern and tame it into a completed top. I get why so many in the arts try to keep the potential of others tamped down... so they remain higher on the food chain when it comes to recognition and possibly money, but the real craftspeople are those that empower others to attain even greater accomplishments than those of a mentor and remind you that labels are just words and should never become a wall.

Last edited by Basketman; 08-15-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:08 AM

My very first quilt is the one in my avatar no one said stars are hard, you chop off points. I do not have any chopped of points that I have found and it was easy to do. Later I heard they were hardest to make. Hmm I beg to differ just go with what you like, curves I may not be comfortable with now, but before I read all that I may have done it!