Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One block, on point, finished

Blog Entries

One block, on point, finished

Name:  20190311_085826_resized.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  473.1 KBThe pattern came from several different sources. The block is Capital-T from Susan Teegarten and the arrangement, on point, came from Debbie Thompson from Piecing the Past.

Does anyone else have trouble cutting up a cherished piece of fabric? I know I'm 72 1/2 years old. That means that if I live to be 90 I only have 17 1/2 years left to sew up all this fabric. I used one of my favorite fabrics ( I only had less than 4 yards) by the Blank company, leaves with gold, for the border and there is only enough left to do the binding. Now it's gone. Sniffff. But what are we to do?

My dreadful brothers will chuck everything in an incinerator, as they did Moms stuff. I wanted to get all the pleasure out of that fabric that was ever there, and I think I did. I made this quilt top. I had all the fun, enjoyment, etc, but I still have some tugs at my heart. It's not sitting on the top shelf looking back at me.

Blog Entries
    Yes! I have a lot of French General and cannot cut it! I am 5 years older than you and I plan to make it to at least 95! I have more fabric than I can ever use but I have instructed my sons to call my quilting buddies to empty my fabric collection and all sewing goodies including machines. I hope you will quilt that beauty and sleep under it every night. It is really pretty. Merry
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Oh you did a lovely, lovely job on that quilt. wonderful fabric shown off to it's best! Enjoy!!

Think of it this way. Your beautiful fabric is much happier being in a gorgeous quilt than sitting on the shelf.

Such a pretty quilt!
    Harriet
    https://www.facebook.com/Thelaststitch
    Handi Quilter International Educator

Your quilt top is beautiful and a perfect recipient for the fabric you cherished! You've put it to excellent use; I can't imagine how it would have been used better!

Far better in this beautiful creation than sitting on the shelf. But yes, I understand your reluctance to actually use it. I think we forget sometimes fabric's true purpose -- to be made into something even more beautiful than itself. You've done that. Congratulations!

That is absolutely beautiful! Someone will enjoy its warmth and beauty and think about you! Iíve got so much fabric they will need a small u-haul to carry it away! Hubs just told me he found 2 Hugh boxes under a table in the garage- I had forgotten I had!He put them in storage shed. Brought back memories from when his mom passed we had to empty her 2 storage sheds! Havenít bought any this year! I canít sew any either! Hip surgery/machine upstairs! Such a waste of time! Weíve got to keep sewing so we donít win that contest! ďThe one who dies with the most fabric wins!Ē
    Last edited by Plee1053; 03-11-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Power Poster
    ​Lovely top and use up your fabric!

You made a beautiful quilt!!! I understand it is hard to cut up a special piece of fabric. Talk with your brothers and ask them to donated your fabric to a charity group to even to Goodwill.

That came out great. Thanks for showing us.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

That's a beautiful quilt...Your story tugs at my heart, as I am approaching your age and though I do not have as much fabric as I could have (or as some of this group do), I will most likely never use it all up and will definitely have scraps for someone else. I HAVE quit buying fabric though I often look...and still buy batting and backing fabric if I need it.

Your quilt is so beautiful. Love the blocks on point and your fabrics are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing.

It turned out great, Marcia!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Love your quilt and your colors! Beautiful!

It's gorgeous! You definitely need a plan in place so your lovely things don't get incinerated. (Want my address?)

Absolutely beautiful and wonderful colors.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Very impressive.

By the way, that's the reason we have wills! You can forbid them to touch your stuff!

I only have one cut of fabric that I would call cherished and I just purchased it about 6 months ago. I am waiting for the perfect pattern to rise up to use for this 2 yard cut. But, I am working diligently at using my stash so no one will have to deal with much when I pass away. I have a daughter who quilts but our styles are so not the same. She would not likely want my stash or my machines. I hope she sells the machines, donates the stash to my guild and enjoys the profits to make her own quilts.

Keep sewing and cherish the moments. You are very talented. I hope someone in your family recognizes that talent and honors you by treasuring your creations.

What a beautiful quilt! Lovely fabric choices.

Beautiful quilt! I sympathize with you regarding your brothers, but with me it will be my sons getting rid of my treasures.

I love the colors. Beautiful quilt.

Blog Entries
    What a beautiful quilt. Enjoy it for as long as you can. Admire and pet to your heart's content.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

I feel your pain, but, I would suggest moving your sewing area to a spot where you can access it. As we get older, we have fewer folks come to visit, so I am not bothered by keeping everything looking a museum. I just want to be able go see and sew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast