Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Log Cabin Quilts - Looking for a quilt as you go queen size

Sla

Log Cabin Quilts - Looking for a quilt as you go queen size

I need to make a Log Cabin Quilt for a family reunion in July. Wanted to try a quilt as you go method but can't seem to find anything larger than a baby quilt and nothing with a Log Cabin pattern. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    well any block can be put together as a quilt as you go. log cabin too. maybe someone will chime in.

Here are a few options. If you like a certain one, just click on it to go and find out more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=log+...w=1680&bih=905
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    I’m confused, I thought you sewed the backing to it too, for a quilt as you go? I guess I don’t really understand what it is...
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Sla, If you like the pattern you referred to you could always just add more blocks or make the blocks larger either by using wider strips or increasing the number to strips you add around the center. I always found the most time consuming part of QAYG is the joining the completed blocks.
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    I’m confused, I thought you sewed the backing to it too, for a quilt as you go? I guess I don’t really understand what it is...
    Yes, generally the backing is applied at the same time.
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

This person claims to be doing QAYG, but it is actually more like foundation piecing with the batting as the foundation, and some additional stitching through just the top and batting. Later on in the comments she says that she will sew the blocks together, add backing, and quilt in the ditch.

There are all kinds of QAYG. You could do it with backing also but then
    you would have to use sashing front and back to sew the blocks together.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    This person claims to be doing QAYG, but it is actually more like foundation piecing with the batting as the foundation, and some additional stitching through just the top and batting. Later on in the comments she says that she will sew the blocks together, add backing, and quilt in the ditch.
    I'm not sure I would call it foundation piecing. It's a different type of QAYG.
    You do the quilting first then add the backing. A method I haven't tried yet.
    Jera Brandvig wrote a book on this method.
    tinyurl.com/y6gtvy7n

I have made a couple LC using QAYG. I prepared the backing, making it about 2 inches larger than what the finished block would be. Layered the batting on the backing. Center the center patch, and continue from there. If I remember correctly, the outside strips were 1/4 inch wider than the others (seam allowance for sewing the blocks together) I then trimmed the batting, and hand stitched the back seams. I believe I found this pattern many years ago in Family Circle magazine. Think I still have those pages. Probably one of the first quilts I made, so it had to be easy! Good luck with what ever you do.

Sla
    I obviously don't know what I am doing! I would like to make a quilt as you go king size log cabin quilt. Has anyone done this, if so picture and method you used. I won't it to be completely finished without having to add a backing to it.

Sla
    When you quilt as you go with a finished back, you will always have sashing, is that correct?

Sla
    Do have pictures you could share?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by humbird View Post
    I have made a couple LC using QAYG. I prepared the backing, making it about 2 inches larger than what the finished block would be. Layered the batting on the backing. Center the center patch, and continue from there. If I remember correctly, the outside strips were 1/4 inch wider than the others (seam allowance for sewing the blocks together) I then trimmed the batting, and hand stitched the back seams. I believe I found this pattern many years ago in Family Circle magazine. Think I still have those pages. Probably one of the first quilts I made, so it had to be easy! Good luck with what ever you do.
    I made the same quilt in the late 1970's. The article was by Marti Michell and that was the start of following her designs! My recommendation would be to allow extra seam allowance which can be trimmed back after sewing the front side seams together. Although the quilting lines show on the reverse side, there is nothing on the front (top) of the quilt to indicate QAYG. Good luck! :-)

It is not correct. None of mine have sashing, front or back. I do have seam lines on the back. The front blocks are sewn together without sashing.

humbird, I am sure I read about the QAYG in the Family Circle magazine. Womans Day had some quilting patterns and instructions too. I was going to make them but never did. I was a newbie at the time. We were raising three kids and money was a bit tight time too.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I made a Grandson & Granddaughter in law a king size quilt. I used the double slice pattern by making four smaller quilts and sewing them together. First king I made and the last. Lots of time, ripping and lots and lots of fabrics, used about 5 rotary blades too. The biggest I will make is a large double and that will be for us.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You could make as many log cabin blocks as you need for the size of quilt you need. I plan to use Leah Day's method for QAYG on one of my quilts this year.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...53C8&FORM=VIRE

Marti Martin has a Craftsy class I think on QAYG log cabins...Also ck classes in Iquilt...I think there's another teacher there that has a class on it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Instead of QAYG per block, how about sectioning the quilt into quarters to quilt it. I did a kind log cabin on a commission that way, joining the quadrants together on the front after quilting them and then using sashing that matched the backing to cover the "join" for the backside.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Instead of QAYG per block, how about sectioning the quilt into quarters to quilt it. I did a kind log cabin on a commission that way, joining the quadrants together on the front after quilting them and then using sashing that matched the backing to cover the "join" for the backside.
    Marti Michell wrote an interesting IMHO, descriptive book describing exactly what you mentioned, Jan in VA :-)