Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
At what point does one....... >

At what point does one.......

At what point does one.......

Old 08-16-2015, 04:13 AM

I have been sewing over 50 years, was a home ec. major, but only seriously got into quilting 6 yrs. ago. I still feel like a beginner on some patterns, but will try just about anything that I really love. Some patterns are written poorly, others though complicated, are achievable if you just take baby steps and read and re-read the directions. I have learned so much from the marvelous quilters on this board and feel I learn something new from each quilt I make.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:34 AM

I think that would depend on the person and the pattern. Some of us pick up things faster than others. Years ago my sister asked if I thought she could do pj's for her grandkids. to me that is simple. It took a year to finish those and that was because that was the next time I made it back home. We had also bought a quilt kit, all straight lines, not angles and cut it out before it left. She couldn't get it. If I could have been there to give her the confidence she needed then she could have done it. Some patterns are like this, there isn't a way for them to really say what is beginner verses intermediate, etc. It depends on the person as to what the can do and also how well the pattern is written. Good luck. I'm hoping to start teaching this fall in several areas and I'm sure this will be the hardest thing.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I find that sometimes I catch on to things quickly - and other times I (and whoever is trying to teach me something) would swear that my brains had turned into moldy sawdust.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I think I"m an advanced beginner too. it kind of sneaks up on you and I doubt I will ever be top of the line quilter. So I"m happy where ever I land.
I agree with Native, it really does sneak up on you. I always thought of myself as a beginner and never, ever, gave thought to trying anything complicated. This week I tried paper piecing and I did it! I think I've finally moved up to advanced beginner...YIPEEEEE!

Make test blocks, you'll know when to move up to the more complicated patterns.

Last edited by Twisted Quilter; 08-16-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:18 AM

I check the instructions and if they are detailed I proceed. Just don't get ahead of yourself in unfamiliar areas...just take one small step at a time...take it "bite by bite" and you'll be amazed at how much you can do
Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 AM

Had a friend who just started quilting and her first quilt was a hard one I thought and she muddled through it. Had not quilted before.