Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
At what point does one....... >

At what point does one.......

At what point does one.......

Old 08-14-2015, 09:03 AM

Default At what point does one.......

When does one go from a beginner quilter to intermediate to advanced??? I just spent the day going through my "pattern wish list" and see so many that are labeled intermediate that don't appear to be that hard, and vise versa, patterns that seem to be way more advanced that are labeled beginner or intermediate.

I know when I started out I wanted to make them all, now that reality has set in I can see several that I will never make as I am not that talented!!

I would consider myself an advanced beginner if there is such a category............
Old 08-14-2015, 09:11 AM

Good question, I think it is an arbitrary distinction. I also consider myself a confident beginner. I really don't pay a lot of attention to the category and just judge the pattern difficulty on my own skill set. Some are just way beyond anything I have the skills or patience to tackle!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I don't think there is a clear answer to your question as everyone advances at their own speed. A "beginner" pattern generally works with straight cuts - possibly fewer pieces, and uses simple strip-piecing techniques. Intermediate can have more pieces, smaller pieces, more involved piecing layouts. Advanced takes it up another notch or two. As you already noticed, even in each category there are levels, and a confident beginner is a good place to be.

If the intermediate patterns look easy to you, then why not try them. My personal recommendation: Make a test block. That will tell you if you can or if there is more to the pattern than initially anticipated. Likewise if a beginner pattern seems hard. Read all the way through the pattern. Often the key is in the layout and cutting directions. It only LOOKS difficult but really isn't.

Sounds like you are enjoying the process and are growing as a quilter. Congratulations!

I was a little over-confident in my beginnings and made a Lone Star quilt way too early. Well, I should say that I started a Lone Star quilt and after 25 years it is still in the box. So I know what you are talking about.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I think some things/concepts seem to come easier to some people than others.

I do agree that the "designation" of difficulty at times seems puzzling.

Example: Jinny Beyer's Moon Glow pattern is designated "beginner to intermediate"

I think parts of it wold be very challenging for a beginner.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:22 AM

Wise words have already been said. I think any quilt that you really love is one that you should try. I think WHO writes the instructions matters - as some instructions i've seen were WAY too complicated and poorly written....and some with errors. If you are working on something that you really love - with a pattern and fabric that "speaks" to you - i think that's the key to success, regardless of the degree of difficulty.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I believe it's suggested. If you're the type that will tackle anything then go for it. The more simpler would be for a beginner and probably quite boring for one who has more skill for the more intricate designs.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM

One of my early quilts was my daughter's baby blanket - "Tumbling Blocks / Baby Blocks". Yes... Y-seams and all. I thought "Hey! it's a small quilt. How hard can it be?" I finished it, it was fun and it looked great. 15 years later I find out that it was supposed to be difficult. It was a challenge, but with nobody giving me "difficulty levels" there was no intimidation factor and as an upside, I'm not really afraid of anything when it comes to quilting.

Sew what you like.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 PM

My second quilt was a Tumbling Blocks. AND I made it with all kinds of non-quilt fabric. Whatever was in my scrap bag. Had it for years on my bed.

I think the distinction is in how you feel. Do you feel like a beginner, or do you have more confidence?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

When you finish a quit top using an intermediate or advanced labeled pattern and it looks darn good.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:30 PM

I don't pay any attention to the degree of difficulty labeled on the pattern. If I like it, I try it. Worse case scenario, you learn something new or waste a block of fabric. If you are to the point where you see an advanced pattern as looking fairly simple you are ready to take on any pattern you want to try. That's the fun of quilting, we are as knowledgeable as we think we are. Note: I wouldn't go buy all the fabric for a quilt that is labeled as challenging unless I had a teacher or a class to participate in, because those can be a bit beyond my current piecing skills. But, maybe not for you?

Edited to add: And if you get stumped, there is always someone on this Quilting Board that will offer help and guidance.