Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is "premium broadcloth"?

what is "premium broadcloth"?

Hello... I order material from Fabric.com often, and I am always pleased. Last night I ordered a few yards of something called "premium broadcloth".... do any of you guys know what I will be getting? The description said it was cotton. Why is it called "broadcloth"?

Is it possibly more tightly woven? If I were ordering it I would think it would feel like a heavier weight fabric. Actually now that I think of it, not really sure what premium means, better?

Is it all cotton? or a mix?

dd
    I thought broadcloth was a blend. Not sure why it's called that.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

it says 100% cotton. There is a customer review "not the the best but not horrible" so that is why I am asking
    Last edited by meyert; 07-17-2013 at 04:28 AM.

when I have seen it it is just solid color cotton, not sure if its just the weave, but most solids are broadcloth
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Kaufman's Kona Cotton Solids are an example of 'premium broadcloth'. Same for Moda Bella Solids and some, but not all, other solid cottons. Broadcloth is a method of weaving. It dates back to the 1500's in England.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcloth

Todays cotton broadcloths are generally 60x60 threads, slightly fewer than premium quilting cotton prints. If you'll notice at fabric.com, the premium broadcloths are in the quilting section and the other broadcloths (blends, etc) are in apparel.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Thanks.. so its how they are weaved? They will work the same as other cotten fabric? Do you think they will fray worse than other types?

Most of the fabric we use for quilting is technically cotton broadcloth as it refers to the weave rather than the fiber content. It can be solid or print. Most folks nowadays use the term to refer to the widely availabe, inexpensive cotton/poly blend. I would think a premium broadcloth would mean a somewhat higher quality. Possibly a more consistent thread size, higher thread count, longer fibers, etc. Don't see why it should fray any more than any other quality cotton fabric.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Thank you everyone for your replies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast