Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a problem!!  Any suggestions??? >

What a problem!! Any suggestions???

What a problem!! Any suggestions???

Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 AM

You could scan the quilt to get the pink color and print a page of that color if you can't find a matching pink.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I have several old quilt like this that unless I put them away they will not last much longer with use. My family loves them because they are so soft and will grab one of them before a new quilt. I just let them be. If they fall apart so be it. I would rather them be used then folded in a box. When the quilt gets too far gone, frame a few of the blocks for your girls.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I couldn't tell if the quilt eating dog had eaten through the quilt or if the backing is still intact; if it is, I would try to find a solid pink to match as well as possible. Then I would cut away the existing batting, whip stitch a new piece of batting and then applique a new pink strip over the existing sashing, then quilt over that and that should solve the problem. I also am glad that the appliques did not get eaten, that would have been tragic.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I would try to find a cotton in the same color. It will most likely be too intense but you could put it in a solution of water with a touch of bleach to tone it down. You could use a piece of fusible batting and applique the solid piece on top. Hand quilt to match the existing quilting lines. I would not cut into the backing because then you'll have 2 areas to fix.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It looks like the same pink is on the back? If so I would sacrifice a section from the back big enough to fix the front. I would appliqué the new piece to the front, hand stitch the missing batting to the batting from the back. I would them appliqué a large patch to the back where you removed the piece from the front, maybe a boat? I would then put a label on the back of the repair with the information about the original maker, your name for the repair and the name of the guilty party. After it is all repaired, I would hand quilt the sections again in the original manner.
that is a great idea to do
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 AM

What a shame. While it's a nice thought to wrap in great-grandmother's quilt, I think I'd rather make the kiddos their own and put grandmother's on a quilt rack. Too valuable to risk "injury".
Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 AM

I don't really try to match the fabric. It will always look odd. Let the fact be known that this quilt was well used and loved by stitching an appliqued piece over the area that might coordinate with the theme of the quilt. The last time I patched a dog chewed quilt, I embroidered a picture of a dog and the words, "Sunshine was here" on a piece of fabric and used that for the patch.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I don't really try to match the fabric. It will always look odd. Let the fact be known that this quilt was well used and loved by stitching an appliqued piece over the area that might coordinate with the theme of the quilt. The last time I patched a dog chewed quilt, I embroidered a picture of a dog and the words, "Sunshine was here" on a piece of fabric and used that for the patch.
I love that!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Looks like it is just wear and tear, due to old age.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:27 PM

I think meyert in the previous reply has the best solution. If there is a local quilt guild or group, you might show this wonderful antique them. Sometimes personal guidance is reassuring. You might consider using a print such as a pink plaid or swirl to applique over the torn place, and add the information that is a "time span quilt". A quilt made with love and restored with love. (I would also keep it away from pets!!!