Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What program do you use to turn photos to landscape templates.

What program do you use to turn photos to landscape templates.

I am searching ( to no avail) for a program that I can use on my Mac to turn photos or artwork into landscape outlines of varying sizes. Anyone else doing the same and what programs do you use? Thanks beforehand.

Blog Entries
    I'll be following this as I have wondered this too. I don't have a mac though.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

No idea but interested. Don't have a mac either.
    Linda

I don't have a Mac. I would think the thing to do would be print out the picture you want to use and then blow it up as much as possible. I would then trace around the various pieces I wanted to use with tracing paper that you could then use to make your various appliques. You could even use the fusable tissue so that you could then fuse it to the fabric for applique. Remember that you will be reversing the picture.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Great question!

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy View Post
    I don't have a Mac. I would think the thing to do would be print out the picture you want to use and then blow it up as much as possible. I would then trace around the various pieces I wanted to use with tracing paper that you could then use to make your various appliques. You could even use the fusable tissue so that you could then fuse it to the fabric for applique. Remember that you will be reversing the picture.
    I agree, but no Mac here either. Enlarge the photo/art to the size of your desired project by whatever means you want (Kinko's, a home printer, opaque projector, the grid method, etc) and use that to make your templates.

As for programs that enlarge images, Publisher and Powerpoint both work, as do any of the graphic programs (Photoshop, etc). You can then print them (on several pieces of paper) and tape them together before tracing your outlines. Whether or not you have to reverse the image depends on how you plan to construct the piece.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I have a mac - but I think this could be done in photoshop on either a mac or pc.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

Blog Entries
    I have found it clearer to see the boundaries between different landscape features by printing the photo, the copying the print in greyscale, then enlarging it. But my efforts certainly aren't at all professional.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    Photo quilts --- why couldn't you change your printer details to posterize the photo or drawing? Otherwise you can always use the opaque projector or overhead projector and freezer paper to sketch on.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy sheehan View Post
    I am searching ( to no avail) for a program that I can use on my Mac to turn photos or artwork into landscape outlines of varying sizes. Anyone else doing the same and what programs do you use? Thanks beforehand.
    I use the "watercolor" filter - it's under "artistic effects" in Photoshop "filters". Here's a winter scene as original and as a "watercolor" using photoshop. Name:  FantasyWinterForest-WatercolorDuo.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  120.2 KB