Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a quilt? >

What is a quilt?

What is a quilt?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 AM

I was recently told VERY FIRMLY that a quilt that is tied is not a quilt at all, it's a "coverlet". I thought that was really weird, and it doesn't jive with this article.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 AM

The 'definition' of a quilt is entirely opinion (i.e., there is no scientific basis of fact for it, no possible proof of what it is or isn't) and anyone should be permitted to have an opinion without being judged. Wars have been fought over that right. It's okay to judge someone on how they present their opinion, but not on the opinion itself.

As primarily an art quilter, my idea of what constitutes a quilt is probably VERY much broader than most of yours even staying within the generally accepted 'three layers joined by stitching' parameter.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by squirrelfood View Post
It's yours. It can be whatever you want it to be.

I agree, if you made it, and you love it, it is a quilt. Quilt exhibitors will disagree with me, but I can live with that. Lol!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Well, if you're going to go that far, why not grow the cotton, gin it, spin it, weave your own cloth, dye it with walnut shells or marigold leaves, iron it with a 5# flat iron, and then trace around your patterns using glasses or plates, and piecing it by hand, etc. You see where this path will lead us! Listen to your own heart and do what you want.
If that's the case, I am not and never will be, a 'true' quilter. Oh, the shame!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
You guys are funny. It makes me wonder why some people have to be so picky about what a quilt is or what a quilter is. I like the LQS reference and the walmart machine as well because those always come up on so many boards and I always wonder why it has to be such a heated discussion. Thats why I love this board the most. Everyone here is just so respectful and positive towards each other that its sometimes is so nice compared to other forums.
It seems some folks equate the monetary value of one's equipment, with the value of the person. They just don't 'get' that one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 AM

a quilt is an act of love and devotion

aileen
Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I agree, if you made it, and you love it, it is a quilt. Quilt exhibitors will disagree with me, but I can live with that. Lol!
Amen to that. Those other people need something to do!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM

My grandmother belonged to that school that believed in only hand quilting. She taught me her craft and passion for the art.
Each quilter loves her art of quilting. If we are not being judged by a set of criteria, love what you do, be proud to pass on your passion to another, and work together not against other quilters. There are not many of us left who enjoy quilting today. Going to WalMart is easier than sitting for hours and creating a handmade quilt.

DottyMo - You have a wonderful and beautiful craft. Enjoy your time working on the project and share it with others who care.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM

I decided years ago that a quilt was whatever I thought it was. Most of mine are machine pieced tops and fleece backing, and are "quilted" just enough to hold the two layers together. But is it a quilt? Sure, as it keeps my grandsons warm and they love playing under it! Would I enter it in a show? Welll......not in this lifetime. But if I wanted to make show quilts I would. I make what I love and they are QUILTS!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I was recently told VERY FIRMLY that a quilt that is tied is not a quilt at all, it's a "coverlet". I thought that was really weird, and it doesn't jive with this article.
If it has a pieced top it's a quilt in my book! (well, come to think of it.....I made a quilt last fall for a grandson who picked out only one fabric so technically his top was pieced but only because it was wider than one width of fabric. And he loved his QUILT just as much as his brother did, who had a pieced top and 6 fabrics!) I tie occasionally since it works so well with the fleece backings that I love, but the last one was a Snowball top so it was definitely a QUILT!

If you think it's a quilt or you call it a quilt, it's a quilt.