Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a quilt? >

What is a quilt?

What is a quilt?

Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 PM

Default What is a quilt?

As the title suggests. I have a kaliedoscope top I have made and want to make a table cloth. If I line inside with thin cotton fabric then back with another pattern cotton and finally quilt in usual way is this a quilt?
I was told a quilt is 3 layers of fabric stitched together.
Now been told it's not a quilt if there is no batting/wadding in the centre.

Which is correct. Please?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:43 AM
Power Poster

this article is interesting because it differentiates comforters, duvets, and quilts
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/10848...he-Difference-

i think we may be confusing a "quilt" with a "quilted item" .... many items can be quilted, as seen, clearly, by going to our Pictures forum.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

Does it matter? In a lot of circles the broad definition is -- 3 layers held together with stitching-back in the pioneer days quilts seldom if ever had 'batting' they used thread bare blankets, what ever they had to use for that extra layer to make their (quilt) warm.-so, that does make your table cloth a quilt. As things have evolved and times have changed some circles seem to like to complicate everything and have to say... That (might be)a quilted item... But it is not a quilt...
Old 07-20-2014, 03:33 AM
Banned

It's yours. It can be whatever you want it to be.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

Technically, a quilt is three layers if it is being judged. If it's not being judged, it can be whatever you want it to be.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. It only is important if it is in competition so if it to be used in your own home, who should really care but YOU !!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Technically, that layer of cloth that you're using in the center is batting, because it is a layer of insulation between the quilt top and backing. So your item is technically a quilt by the standard definition.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:10 AM

The quilt group I belong to thinks the only " real" quilt is hand quilted....( they are also staunch members of the quilt police).
Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
The quilt group I belong to thinks the only " real" quilt is hand quilted....( they are also staunch members of the quilt police).
Really??? I think people need to get a life. Who cares? And who do I want to impress?? The answers are: I'm the only one I need to impress and therefore, who cares doesn't really matter. I guess it's a good thing that I live way back in the woods in the summer and far enough away from people that I can't see another house in the winter. That kind of people thinking so narrowly really gets my blood pressure up.

Sorry Francie, but I couldn't be a part of a group like that.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 AM

"The quilt group I belong to thinks the only " real" quilt is hand quilted....( they are also staunch members of the quilt police)."

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Really??? I think people need to get a life. Who cares? And who do I want to impress?? The answers are: I'm the only one I need to impress and therefore, who cares doesn't really matter. I guess it's a good thing that I live way back in the woods in the summer and far enough away from people that I can't see another house in the winter. That kind of people thinking so narrowly really gets my blood pressure up.

Sorry Francie, but I couldn't be a part of a group like that.
I agree! Next thing you know, people will claim it's only a quilt, if it's hand-pieced, hand-quilted, and then ONLY if one uses a certain brand of 100% cotton thread and a certain type of batting. Oh, and let's not forget the mandatory LQS-sold fabric. Then, heaven forbid if you sew it on an inexpensive sewing machine, from WalMart!