Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What quilting design for a log cabin quilt?

What quilting design for a log cabin quilt?

I've been trying out various free motion quilting designs and straight line (with walking foot) designs for log cabin quilts on a scrappy log cabin quilt intended for a homeless family. I have not found a design that I like and can do well with fmq on a Singer 301 (small harp). I'm in the beginning stages of learning feathers, not accomplished yet. I've also looked in books, articles, and on the internet.

Now I have a church fundraising log cabin queen/king size to quilt - on a DSM, and in sections. It's blues and yellows, just beautiful. But what design to use? The logs are 2.5 unfinished or 2 inches finished. The blocks are 14 inches square, unfinished. I'm sewing them together in what might be called lights and shadows, with blue areas meeting in the middle of each group of four blocks.

What designs have you used or tried that enhances the fabric in a log cabin quilt without detracting from it, and that could be done on a small harp domestic machine? I also have the option of SITD with decorative stitches, did that on a second scrappy homeless quilt, and it looked pretty good.

Thanks!
    Cricket

Blog Entries
    They say use curves for straight line patterns...which I have done with the log cabins. I have also done 1/4" on either side of a seam, every two or three logs and I would have to say that is my favorite method for log cabins. It is a little more time consuming but seems to make everything POP...
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

I have done Baptist fans and like the look.
    Deb

I agree with the 1/4 inch on each side. It looks sharp. Stitch in the ditch is more subtle with leaf or other design on border.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I have a log cabin that was part of my mother's stuff when we emptied her home. It is stitched along each seam line. It is not anything she made but is really pretty. Hand quilted.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Baptist fan was often used traditionally for the log cabin quilts. Google images on that.
    Or you could do straight lines through the diagonals of the corners of each log, giving the finished quilt a grid look.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you use curves. It is just plain ugly to have straight lines crossing all those narrow pieces of fabric.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Whoa; considering that I had just posted before you that she might consider a grid pattern of straight lines, I feel your comment might be considered a bit harsh......"just plain ugly"? Really? Not your preference perhaps, but that's whats makes the art of quilting so wonderful; it's art and there are no quilt police! Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder after all.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I guess it just depends on what you like. I think straight diagonal lines could look pretty nice. What kind of thread are you using? Do you want your fmq to shine? or blend in? Echo quilting a log cabin could be a lot of work. How much time do you want to put into it? Lots of large loops all over might also be a fun look. And would be quick. Are you doing quilt as you go? Tying might also be an option.....
    Anyway, kudos for you.....you are extra special to be contributing your work that way.

yeah...."just plain ugly" doesn't fit any of the work I've ever seen here!!! beauty really is a matter of opinion.
    Last edited by mindless; 01-11-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast