Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 PM
cricket_iscute

Default What quilting design for a log cabin quilt?

I've been trying out various free motion quilting designs and straight line (with walking foot) designs for log cabin quilts on a scrappy log cabin quilt intended for a homeless family. I have not found a design that I like and can do well with fmq on a Singer 301 (small harp). I'm in the beginning stages of learning feathers, not accomplished yet. I've also looked in books, articles, and on the internet.

Now I have a church fundraising log cabin queen/king size to quilt - on a DSM, and in sections. It's blues and yellows, just beautiful. But what design to use? The logs are 2.5 unfinished or 2 inches finished. The blocks are 14 inches square, unfinished. I'm sewing them together in what might be called lights and shadows, with blue areas meeting in the middle of each group of four blocks.

What designs have you used or tried that enhances the fabric in a log cabin quilt without detracting from it, and that could be done on a small harp domestic machine? I also have the option of SITD with decorative stitches, did that on a second scrappy homeless quilt, and it looked pretty good.

Thanks!
Cricket