Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to sell for?? >

What to sell for??

What to sell for??

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM

You might mention that $140 is the good friend price - one time only just for her. Anybody else would be charged more.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I sold a twin for 300..
and an over sized lap for 125
Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 PM

ASk yourself .. would you make it again and sell it for the same money?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM

If she is a true friend and you have been friends for a long time. Give her the quilt. Tell her if people want one like it the price will be 140 or higher. As far as I'm concern, friendship has no price, but to make if for someone else there is a price.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 PM

I would sell it to her under the condition she not tell any one else what she paid for it. Other "friends will be lining up at your door". Beautiful quilt!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Seems awful cheap to me.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

It's a fun and funky quilt.

King size? How much out-of-pocket expense do you have in it?
Remember to include all the fabrics - front and back, the batting, the thread, the wear and tear on your equipment. The electricity used in pressing. The cost of washing and ironing the fabrics before cutting them (if you did)

Did you send it out to have it quilted? What would it have cost if you had if you did the quilting yourself?

Then how much time do you have in it?

Just how good of a friend is this? (that sounds like a sarcastic question, but it's not meant to be in this context)

Does she do any sewing herself? She may be totally unaware (ignorant) of the actual cost to make a king size quilt.

The "big box" stores that can offer any size quilt for $39.99 don't help people understand what it costs to make a one -of-a-kind type of quilt.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 AM

I've never made a quilt that I haven't given away rather than sold, but I have had people ask how much I'd charge for one and my standard answer is that my lowest price would be $300 for a small one and it would be a couple of years before I finish the ones I already have started. Pretty much keeps the casual inquirers at bay! I did do a tied one for a friend with her fabric and my getting to keep what was left over (a lot of different corduroys - about a plastic crate full)
Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 AM

If that covers the cost of materials, and you did it as a 'practice', then I think I would be happy with that .... and presumably as you've had it a while yourself (I didn't get the impression that it was 'just finished') you have written off your costs anyway ... you were not expecting to get the costs back on this item.

In that case I would be happy to sell it to her for the cost of the materials, and treat yourself to some new materials with the money - and tell her this!

... but also to make it very clear that you are selling it to her for the cost of the materials alone, and that if anyone else wanted something similar the price would include your time ... and would therefore be at least double that.

So - Yes! - for a good friend who likes my practice effort that I no longer like much myself ... I think covering the cost of materials is fair.

Helen
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boys
OK I have this king size scrappy quilt that I made and a friend is wanting really bad. I don't know what to charge her for it? I have no problems selling it to her cause I know she will totally cherish it. She has offered up to $140
That's really, really low... are you certain that even covers the cost of the materials and supplies in it?

And are you happy donating your time and skills for free?